- “Emily, you must go to Maithwaite and collect flowers for the new window-boxes..."
"Flowers? How lovely! I know all about flowers. I know that buttercups are yellow..."
"Emily! ...and then take them to Knapford Station."
- ―Sir Topham Hatt giving orders to chatterbox Emily
A Blooming Mess is the twelfth episode of the thirteenth series.
Knapford Station is being redecorated. Thomas is tasked to collect slate for the new roof. Emily is tasked with picking up flowers for the station by the Fat Controller. Excitedly, Emily says that she knows all about flowers and she knows that buttercups are yellow, but before she could say another word, the Fat Controller regains her attention and tells her to take the flowers to the station.
As she puffs along, she says hello to James and Toby, who reply back. When Mavis does not say hello, Emily assumes she is sad and chuffs to the quarry to cheer her up with some of the new flowers, only to cause Edward and Thomas to crash into the flatbeds she left behind. When Mavis returns to see her quarry in a state of confusion, Emily apologises for causing it as she thought Mavis was upset. Mavis assures her she was just thinking about all the work she needs to do. Emily feels silly and wonders what would make Mavis happy. Mavis tells Emily that to make her happy she would like the mess tidied up and Emily's load of flowers taken straight to Knapford. Emily complies, even helping out Thomas since his firebox was extinguished. When Mavis stops by Knapford Station later to see the flowers as they are planted and mentions how wonderful they look, Emily is glad to see her happy.
- Sir Topham Hatt
- The Maithwaite stationmaster
- The Knapford stationmaster
- Henry (cameo)
- Gordon (cameo)
- Diesel (cameo)
- The Bird Watcher (cameo)
- The Ginger-haired Boy (cameo)
- The Blond-haired Boy (cameo)
- The Welsh Bird Watcher (cameo)
- Barrow Football Fan (cameo)
- MC BUNN
- Tidmouth Sheds
- Knapford Iron Bridge
- Sodor Slate Quarry
- Great Waterton (poster)
- Ben Small as Thomas and Toby
- Keith Wickham as Edward, James and the Fat Controller
- Teresa Gallagher as Emily and Mavis
- Matt Wilkinson as the Maithwaite and Knapford Stationmasters
- Martin Sherman as Thomas
- William Hope as Edward, Toby and the Knapford Stationmaster
- Kerry Shale as James, Sir Topham Hatt and the Maithwaite Stationmaster
- Jules de Jongh as Emily and Mavis
- The title is possibly a parody of Jason Mraz's song, A Beautiful Mess.
- When Emily reverses, the driver and fireman are still looking forward.
- The narrator says that Mavis puffed into Knapford, but Mavis is a diesel and therefore cannot puff since she is not a steam engine.
- At the beginning of the episode, Henry should not have been able to pull into Knapford from the direction he arrived from as the track he was on has a platform at the other end.
- Magazine stories - A Blooming Mess
In Other Languages
|French||Des fleurs pour Mavis|
|Greek||Ένας Ανθισμένος Χαμός|
|Indonesian||Bunga yang berantakan|
|Italian||Fiori per Mavis|
|Norwegian||Et blomstrende kaos|
|Portuguese||Uma Trapalhada Florida|
|Romanian||O Mizerie de Nedescris|
|Spanish||Un desastre total|
|Swedish||Blomstertid på Rälsön|