|This article is about the episode. You may be looking for the DVD.|
- “Don't take me away from the sea, boys... don't take me away from the sea!”
- ―Salty, and eventually Porter
Away From the Sea is the twenty-first episode of the seventeenth series.
Salty loves to work by the sea, but he still remembers how when first arrived on Sodor, he was sent to work at the quarry. One day, Salty's engine sounds a little spluttery which concerns Cranky and Thomas, who both suggest he go to the Dieselworks. But Salty refuses, fearing that he might be sent back to the quarry.
When a new steam engine named Porter arrives to help out, Salty greets him, and asks him why he has three domes. Porter explains that two of his domes are sandboxes, ready to pour sand onto the rails if they become slippery. The Fat Controller arrives and tells Salty that Porter is to help out while he is at the Dieselworks being repaired. Salty tries to explain that it is only a splutter, but the Fat Controller has made up his mind. The dockside diesel begins to fear that Porter will do a better job at the docks than him.
Later, Salty pulls into the Dieselworks where Den and Dart are waiting. He tells them both about Porter and that if Salty is not repaired soon, Porter will take his job, and the Fat Controller will send the diesel to the quarry. Den and Dart begin to worry. Meanwhile back at the docks, Porter is asking Cranky lots of questions about his work, which Cranky does not like. But he can tell that Porter will be really useful at the dockside.
A while later, Salty's engine finally sounds as good as new, and he hurries out of the workshop as fast as he can. Unfortunately, he is so busy rushing that he accidentally runs into some flatbeds loaded with oil barrels, and ends up covered in sticky oil. Den and Dart see this and suggest Salty return for a wash, but he refuses and hurries away towards Brendam.
Salty is dripping with oil as he powers on his way, and the oil drips under his wheels, making them slip across the rails. But like Porter, Salty has his own sandboxes, and uses them to get a grip on the tracks. Soon he reaches the top of a hill, and sees the docks in the distance.
Salty rolls happily back into the docks, but suddenly starts to slide uncontrollably across the rails. To make matters worse, his sandbox is empty, and he keeps sliding right into some trucks filled with party decorations. Porter notices that the diesel is in trouble, and charges into the other end of the line of trucks to act as a counterweight. Finally, Salty stops, covered in confetti and feeling very silly. He is sure that the Fat Controller will send him to the quarry now, but he is wrong. The Fat Controller has seen all, and explains that Salty has been a silly engine for causing trouble, but he is really useful again now that his engine is fixed, also telling Salty that Porter will be staying at the docks to work with him.
While Salty is being cleaned, Porter drops sand on the rails where Salty had been sliding. Salty now enjoys working with Porter, and is especially happy to be staying at his favourite place on Sodor - Brendam Docks.
- Sir Topham Hatt
- Edward (cameo)
- Henry (cameo)
- Percy (cameo)
- Bill and Ben (cameo)
- Rosie (cameo)
- Hiro (cameo)
- Diesel (cameo)
- Big Mickey (cameo)
- Ben Small as Thomas
- Steven Kynman as Porter and Dart
- Teresa Gallagher as Mavis
- Keith Wickham as Salty, Den and the Fat Controller
- Matt Wilkinson as Cranky
- Martin Sherman as Thomas
- David Menkin as Porter
- Teresa Gallagher as Mavis
- Keith Wickham as Salty and Den
- Steven Kynman as Dart
- Glenn Wrage as Cranky
- Kerry Shale as Sir Topham Hatt
- Flashbacks recreated in CGI and references to the sixth series episode, Salty's Secret are made.
- This is the first time since the seventh series episode, Salty's Stormy Tale that Salty has been a main character.
- This episode marks Mavis' only speaking role in the seventeenth series.
- Teresa Gallagher takes over the role of Mavis in the US Dub of this episode.
- Going by production order, this is the tenth episode of the seventeenth series.
- Digiguide lists this episode as Episode 2 of "Thomas & Friends: Thrills and Spills."
- When at the Dieselworks, Salty rolls onto the turntable, but his wheels and side rods do not move.
- In the recreated CGI flashback of the sixth series episode, Salty's Secret, Diesel is seen at the sheds with Bill, Ben and Salty instead of Mavis.
- When the Fat Controller scolds Salty, the two workmen who fixed him at the Dieselworks can be seen in the background.
- In the UK dub, after Salty says, "Far away from the sea," the streamers above his face swap colour pallets and the blue streamer on his right buffer switches position.
- Wooden Railway - Celebration Salty (Salty covered in oil and streamers with a streamer truck)
- Magazine stories - Salty's New Friend
In Other Languages
|Czech||Daleko od moře|
|Dutch||Ver weg van zee|
|French||La grande peur de Salty|
|German||Salty, die Hafenlok|
|Greek||Μακριά από τη θάλασσα|
|Hungarian||Távol a tengertől|
|Italian||Mai Lontano dal Mare|
|Norwegian||Borte fra havet|
|Polish||Daleko od morza|
|Portuguese||Longe do mar|
|Romanian||Departe de Mare|
|Russian||Солти едет к морю|
|Spanish||Lejos del Mar|
|Ukrainian||Далеко від моря|
Home Media Releases