BR 20 Ton Brake Vans
BR Standard 20 Ton van
( 1,435 mm; standard gauge)
BR 20 Ton Brake Vans are a standard type of goods brake van. They are added to the back of a goods train and guards rides in them. Each brake van is equipped with a strong brake to assist with slowing and stopping the train. From here, the guard can keep an eye on the train in case of problems, such as hot axle boxes or trucks becoming uncoupled while running.
Biography Stepney used one of these brake vans to help transport four cricket players and Caroline to the Elsbridge Cricket Field after she had broken down .
One of these brake vans was involved in an accident when
Oliver fell down the turntable well .
The BR 20 Tons are commonly seen on the back of goods trains. They are
Sodor's main type of brake van. The brake vans have also been used as part of the Mail Train, the Flying Kipper and the Circus Train.
A van attached to a goods train once waited on a siding to let
Henry and the Flying Kipper pass while Henry's crew were enjoying cocoa in the brake van. As snow had forced the signal and points to fail, Henry collided straight into the train at full speed and unable to stop. The crew had just left the train and avoided the crash .
One of these brake vans (along with the
Troublesome Trucks) broke away from their engine Edward, and chased Duck down Gordon's Hill. The trucks had bumped their guard off his brake-van, and left him far behind after he had whistled a warning. Duck and his crew bravely attempted to take control of the train, but crashed through barber shop .
 The Spiteful Brake Van, another van of this design, caused grief for James, Donald and Douglas. In an attempt to cause trouble for James, he urged the Troublesome Trucks to hold the train back. Douglas was called to help James' train up Gordon's Hill. However, the van found himself wedged between Douglas and the rest of the train. The guard jumped clear as the van was crushed by Douglas. .
Percy's train of Troublesome Trucks barged forward and push him down the line and into a train of stone trucks, he destroyed a stationary brake van and perched himself on the remains of a truck .
Bill and Ben took a party of railway enthusiasts in a "brake van special" for a tour of the China Clay Works .
A majority of brake vans are non-sentient. However, there are at least three known vans depicted with faces. They are spiteful, elderly, and troublesome respectively.
Types of sentient brake vans:
Troublesome Trucks (
Named BR brake vans
These brake vans are based on the real BR Standard 20 Ton vans. The Elderly Brake Van and Spiteful Brake Van (
TV version) share the same basis.
An BR Standard 20 Ton van in real life
Types of brake van designs
with additional windows)
the Railway Series, one of these brake vans is painted brown with a white roof and red bufferbeams.
A brown brake van in the Railway Series
In the television series, these brake vans are commonly painted in different shades of grey. They have also been seen in dark brown, dark blue, and dark purple.
A grey brake van with a white roof
- Series 1 Thomas and Gordon, Edward and Gordon, The Sad Story of Henry, Edward, Gordon and Henry, Thomas' Train, Thomas and the Trucks, Thomas and the Breakdown Train, James and the Coaches, Troublesome Trucks, James and the Express, Thomas Goes Fishing, Thomas, Terence and the Snow, Tenders and Turntables, Trouble in the Shed, Percy Runs Away, Coal, The Flying Kipper, Whistles and Sneezes, Thomas in Trouble, Dirty Objects, Off the Rails and Thomas' Christmas Party
- Series 2 Thomas, Percy and the Coal, Cows, Saved from Scrap, Old Iron, Thomas and Trevor, Percy and the Signal, Duck Takes Charge, Percy and Harold, The Runaway, Percy Takes the Plunge, Pop Goes the Diesel, Dirty Work, A Close Shave, Better Late Than Never, Break Van, Daisy, Percy's Predicament, The Diseasel, Wrong Road, Edward's Exploit, Ghost Train, Woolly Bear and Thomas and the Missing Christmas Tree
- Series 3 A Scarf for Percy, Percy's Promise, Time for Trouble, Donald's Duck, Thomas Gets Bumped, Thomas, Percy and the Dragon, Diesel Does it Again, No Joke for James, Thomas, Percy and the Post Train, Trust Thomas, Mavis, Toby's Tightrope, Edward, Trevor and the Really Useful Party, Buzz, Buzz, All at Sea, One Good Turn, Tender Engines, Escape, Oliver Owns Up, Bulgy, Heroes, Percy, James and the Fruitful Day and Thomas and Percy's Christmas Adventure
- Series 4 Four Little Engines, A Bad Day for Sir Handel, Trucks, Home at Last, Rock 'n' Roll, Special Funnel, Steam Roller, Passengers and Polish, Gallant Old Engine, Thomas and Stepney, Train Stops Play, Bowled Out, Henry and the Elephant, Toad Stands By, Paint Pots and Queens, Fish and Mind that Bike
- Series 5 Horrid Lorry, Lady Hatt's Birthday Party, James and the Trouble with Trees, Gordon and the Gremlin, Bye George!, Baa!, Put Upon Percy, Toby and the Flood, Haunted Henry, Stepney Gets Lost, Something in the Air, Thomas, Percy and Old Slow Coach, Thomas and the Rumours, Oliver's Find, Happy Ever After, Sir Topham Hatt's Holiday, A Surprise for Percy, Make Someone Happy and Busy Going Backwards
- Series 6 Salty's Secret, It's Only Snow, The World's Strongest Engine, Percy and the Haunted Mine, Percy's Chocolate Crunch, Thomas the Jet Engine and Edward the Very Useful Engine
- Series 7 Emily's New Coaches, The Spotless Record and Something Fishy
- Series 8 Percy's Big Mistake, Spic and Span and Fish
- Series 9 Saving Edward
- Series 10 Toby's New Shed
- Series 16 Muddy Matters, Whiff's Wish and Happy Birthday Sir!
- Series 17 Kevin's Cranky Friend, Scruff's Makeover, Wayward Winston, Gordon Runs Dry, Calm Down Caitlin, Steamie Stafford, Henry's Hero, Not Now, Charlie!, The Lost Puff, The Thomas Way, The Phantom Express, Percy's Lucky Day, No Snow for Thomas, Santa's Little Engine, Away From the Sea, Gone Fishing, The Afternoon Tea Express, The Smelly Kipper, No More Mr. Nice Engine and Thomas' Shortcut
- Series 18 Not So Slow Coaches, Flatbeds of Fear, Disappearing Diesels, Signals Crossed, Toad's Adventure, Duck in the Water, Missing Gator, No Steam Without Coal, Spencer's VIP, Long Lost Friend, Last Train for Christmas, The Perfect Gift, Emily Saves the World and Timothy and the Rainbow Truck
- Series 19 The Truth About Toby, Lost Property, A Cranky Christmas, Toad and the Whale, Very Important Sheep, Helping Hiro, Two Wheels Good, Reds vs. Blues, Best Engine Ever, The Little Engine Who Raced Ahead, No Help at All and Goodbye Fat Controller
- Series 20 Sidney Sings, Toby's New Friend, Henry Gets the Express, Diesel and the Ducklings, Bradford the Brake Van, Saving Time, Ryan and Daisy, Pouty James, Letters to Santa, Three Steam Engines Gruff, Engine of the Future, Mucking About, All in Vain and Mike's Whistle
- Series 21 Dowager Hatt's Busy Day, Stuck in Gear, New Crane on the Dock, The Fastest Red Engine on Sodor, Emily in the Middle and Terence Breaks the Ice
- Series 22 Number One Engine, Forever and Ever, Trusty Trunky, Thomas in the Wild, Thomas and the Monkey Palace, Outback Thomas, School of Duck, Tiger Trouble, Seeing is Believing, Apology Impossible, Rosie is Red and Counting on Nia
- Series 23 The Other Big Engine and Grudge Match
* | RWS only ** only | T&F --- Dropped