Barrow-in-Furness, commonly known as Barrow or The Big Fat Station, is a town and borough in Cumbria, North West England.
The North Western Railway has had running powers into Barrow Central station since an agreement with the LMS in 1925. For "through" trains, NWR engines are detached and BR, or "Other Railway", engines take over. Since 1925, the North Western Railway has also had a shed, turntable and servicing facility here. There is also a joint goods yard for exchange traffic.
In May 1941, the station's original building was completely destroyed by the bombing during the Barrow Blitz of World War II. The station was completely rebuilt with a new building in the late 1950s.
Once, Barrow AFC came to Sodor by ship to play a football match against Sodor United. Many fans also came to over to watch.
- The Eight Famous Engines - Percy Takes the Plunge and Gordon Goes Foreign
- Enterprising Engines - Escape
- Gordon the High-Speed Engine - Fire Escape and Gordon Proves His Point
- Henry and the Express - Out of Puff
- 1987 - The Island of Sodor: Its People, History and Railways (mentioned)
- 2005 - Sodor: Reading Between the Lines (mentioned)
- In real life, the station does not have a line running to the Isle of Walney, which was "replaced" on the maps by the Island of Sodor.