|This article is about 'the barge'. You may be looking for 'the Story Library book'.|
Bulstrode is a highly disagreeable barge who used to work on water. He now resides at Tidmouth Beach as a children's playground.
Bulstrode was used to carry cargo like coal and stone to Knapford Harbour, but always complained about not being loaded fast enough. This annoyed the trucks, but one day Bulstrode ended up getting what he deserved when Percy accidentally pushed stone trucks off the quay and into his hold, bursting a hole in his hull. He was then towed to a beach, where he was turned into a children's playground. He remains there today, most likely still grumbling, but the children take no notice.
Bulstrode is rude and bad-tempered, and complains endlessly.
However, he is portrayed the opposite in magazine stories.
Bulstrode is based on a 1920s self-propelled coastal barge.
Bulstrode is painted with a cream cab, brown deck, a black hull and a red keel. His name is painted on his bow in white. In the "My First Thomas" range he is painted blue, red and yellow.
- Ryōichi Tanaka (Japan)
- Bulstrode's appearance in the television series is rather different from his Railway Series appearance: in the Railway Series he has two cargo holds and his face is the same colour as his cab, while in the television series he only has one hold and the standard grey face.
- Bulstrode is currently the only non-human character created by Christopher Awdry to be introduced into the television series.
- According to Abi Grant, Bulstrode was meant to have a large scale model built for the Wharf, but this never happened due to budget reasons.
- Bulstrode's original model began to deteriorate during the production of the fifth series, and was subsequently damaged while being shipped to/from Canada during the production of Thomas and the Magic Railroad. A new model of Bulstrode was built to replace the original and had different dimensions. The newer model of Bulstrode is currently on display at Drayton Manor on a beach near Bluff's Cove.
- An unused happy face mask that was made for the newer Bulstrode model was later used for the Rockin' Bulstrode ride at Drayton Manor and has been used for merchandise such as his Trackmaster and 2013 Wooden Railway models.
- In a few of the HIT Era episodes, Bulstrodes surprised face was used as a truck's face.
- Despite being beached in both the television series and the Railway Series, he is still depicted as being used in forms of media such as Video Games, and DVD Minigames.
- Bulstrode is usually depicted with his surprised face in the promotional material and merchandise.
- ERTL (discontinued)
- Thomas Engine Collection Series (discontinued)
- Wooden Railway (discontinued)
- Take Along (discontinued)
- Take-n-Play (discontinued)
- Motor Road and Rail (discontinued)
- TrackMaster (discontinued)
- My First Thomas (discontinued)
- Trading Cards (discontinued)
- My Thomas Story Library (discontinued)
- Wind-up Trains
- Bath Squirter (Bath Buddies and Water Strainer)
- Wood (re-designed in 2019)
- Nakayoshi (discontinued)