Captain is a brave motorized lifeboat. He is part of the Search and Rescue Team.
Thomas & Friends
When Thomas got lost on Misty Island, he helped in the search for him by taking the Fat Controller to search by sea. Later, he brought Jobi logs for the construction of the Sodor Search and Rescue Centre.
When Stephen went missing, Captain, along with the rest of the Search and Rescue Team, went to look for him.
In the nineteenth series, Captain was eager to assist in the rescues of Henry and, later, Rocky, but was unable to assist due to the accidents occurring far from the water. He, along with the rest of the Search and Rescue Team, then responded to an emergency at Brendam Docks.
In the twentieth series, he, along with Harold, was called upon to find the Fat Controller and Skiff, after the rail boat went off to sea without his captain in search of a mermaid. They found the two on a small beach near Bluff's Cove, where Captain rescued them and then escorted them back to Arlesburgh Harbour.
Captain is a lifeboat who resides at the Sodor Search and Rescue Centre in his own small shed, ready, willing, and always on hand raring for action in case of an emergency. He can easily be dispatched from his shed by means of a slipway, but often resides in the small dock at the Search and Rescue Centre too. Being a lifeboat, Captain knows that duty may call out at sea to help and rescue anyone at any time. He takes this role seriously and is highly assertive, confident, and is unfazed in the face of daring, dangerous missions, but is not made ostentatious or egotistical by his important responsibilities. He is level-headed, always knows what has to be done, and shows good leadership skills. Despite this, some eager unnecessary deployments are covered as practice runs by him.
Captain is based on an ex-Royal National Lifeboat Institution twin-engined Liverpool-class Lifeboat. These originated in 1931 as a single-engine design, with the twin-engined version being built from 1945 to 1954. The class lasted in service until 1982, when "The Chieftain" was withdrawn from Barmouth Lifeboat Station. Unlike most Liverpools, which were carriage launched, Captain is launched from a slipway. Numerous examples of this class are preserved.
Captain's cab is painted yellow, his sides are blue and his hull is red. He is lined in white. He has a long, thin, yellow mast at the stern of his body.
- 2010 - Misty Island Rescue (cameo)
- 2011 - Misty Island Rescue (cameo)
- 2012 - Making Hiro Happy (cameo), Stuck On You (speaks in speech bubble only) and The Fat Controller's Bedtime Story (Issue 647)
- 2013 - Toby to the Rescue and All in a Day's Rescue
- 2015 - Emily Saves the World (does not speak)
- 2017 - Emily Saves the World (does not speak)
- Where in the World is Thomas? (partially performed)
- Keith Wickham (UK/US)
- Christoffer Staib (Norway; Misty Island Rescue - fifteenth series)
- Kentarō Hayami (Japan; Misty Island Rescue theatrical version only)
- Hidenari Ugaki (Japan; Misty Island Rescue DVD onwards, excluding Big World! Big Adventures!)
- Nozomu Sasaki (Japan; Big World! Big Adventures! only)
- Walter Wiegand (Germany)
- Cezary Kwieciński (Poland; Misty Island Rescue - fifteenth series)
- Jacek Król (Poland; eighteenth series onwards)
- Alexander Heeren (The Netherlands)
- Armando Réndiz (Latin America)
- Fabrice Trojani (France and French speaking Canada; Misty Island Rescue - eighteenth series)
- Thibault Lacour (France and French speaking Canada; nineteenth series onwards)
- Salvador Serrano (Spain)
- Yehonatan Magon (Israel)
- Pasi Ruohonen (Finland)
|First used||Last used||Sound Effect|
- Captain has been partially modified from his basis; most of his bow has been scaled down.
- Despite having oars on his sides, they have never been used in any form.
- None of his merchandise depicts him with his mast, except his wooden railway and wind up toys.
- Captain's livery is identical to Bulstrode's My First Thomas toy.
- Captain uses a chassis to launch himself into the water, identical to the one Skiff has.
- His horn sound was later used for one of the ships at Brendam Docks in Steam Team to the Rescue.
- “Batter me broadside!”
- ―Captain, after Butch knocks some metal pipes into the sea, Stuck on You, fifteenth series
- “Don't look at me, I only do rescues on water!”
- ―Captain, Toby to the Rescue, magazine story
- “Did somebody lose their ball?”
- ―Captain, when the giant globe falls into the sea, Emily Saves the World, eighteenth series