|For other uses, see Charlie (disambiguation).|
Charlie is a purple tank engine who loves to tell jokes and have fun. He can usually be found working at Knapford Yards.
Thomas & Friends
Charlie first arrived on Sodor to help out on the railway. He was said to be the favourite engine of the Mainland Engines and his old controller. When Thomas was to show him around, Charlie convinced him to have fun instead of bringing Allicia Botti to her concert.
When Flynn was going on the roads for the first time, Charlie teased him by calling him a "big wobble on wheels". Later, in winter, Charlie pretended to be a talking snowman, which made Henry rather scared until Charlie realised that everyone has different opinions about snow.
Once, he came across an elephant on the line, but when he tried to inform the other engines, they just thought he was telling one of his jokes again. Charlie then reported the elephant to Harold who took Charlie seriously. Soon, the elephant was recaptured. Charlie was not pleased about not being taken seriously and vowed never to tell another joke. Unfortunately, Charlie's promise to himself didn't last long.
Later, Caitlin left her coaches with Charlie in the Knapford Yards while she went to the Steamworks. Just then, Thomas arrived and left Annie and Clarabel. Later, while Caitlin came back to collect her coaches, Charlie, distracted by telling Caitlin a joke, accidentally shunted Annie and Clarabel with Caitlin's coaches, resulting in Caitlin pulling them with her train to Ulfstead Castle and the Mainland. He also seems to be primarily based in the shunting yards by this point.
When the Great Railway Show was being held, Charlie was one of the engines who wanted to go to the show, but he was not chosen and was left on Sodor to do the other engine's jobs.
Charlie has a reputation for being a really fun engine. He has an unquenchable desire for fun, games and play, and is said to have been the favourite engine of the Mainland Controller. Charlie can get easily distracted by his japes, sometimes distracting others in the process. He can be pouty, huffy, and teasing at times, but he always wants everyone to be enjoying themselves. Often though, Charlie has to learn that the opinions of others, keeping calm and working hard to completing jobs foremost, are important if when wanting to be a Really Useful engine. He has a good working relationship with Edward, often calling him "Eddie", who is sometimes capable of taking Charlie under his wing, and Thomas, who Charlie enjoys racing and sharing in the fun with. Being a fun-loving, playful scamp, cheeky Charlie is popular at parties and fairs, is well liked by the children, and known for his youthful humour.
BasisCharlie is based on a Manning Wardle L Class 0-6-0ST. Billy shares the same basis.
Charlie is painted violet with light white lining, brass fittings and red wheels. He has the number "14" painted in gold on his cab sides and brass nameplates with his name in white on the sides of his saddletank.
- Matt Wilkinson (UK; thirteenth series onwards excluding The Great Race)
- Glenn Wrage (US; thirteenth - fifteenth series)
- Ben Small (US; sixteenth - eighteenth series)
- Steven Kynman (US; The Great Race onwards, UK; The Great Race singing voice)
- Bernard Demory (France and French speaking Canada; thirteenth and fourteenth series)
- Fabrice Trojani (France and French speaking Canada; fifteenth series onwards)
- Hideyuki Kanaya (Japan; thirteenth series onwards, excluding The Great Race)
- Nozomu Sasaki (Japan; The Great Race only)
- Sigbjørn Solheim (Norway; thirteenth - seventeenth series)
- Matthias Klimsa (Germany)
- Leszek Zduń (Poland; thirteenth - sixteenth series)
- Bartosz Martyna (Poland; seventeenth series only)
- Artur Pontek (Poland; eighteenth series onwards)
- Yehonatan Magon (Israel; seventeenth series only)
- Gabriel Ortiz (Latin America; thirteenth series - eighteenth series)
- Luis Daniel Ramírez (Latin America; DC Super Friends™ San Diego Comic Con only)
- Barry Beijer (The Netherlands)
- Caio César Nunes (Brazil; eighteenth series)
- Jorge Teixeira (Spain)
- Petri Hanttu (Finland; thirteenth series onwards)
- Loukas Frangoulis (Greece)
|First used||Last used||Sound Effect|
- Charwelton, a Manning Wardle O Class preserved at the Kent and East Sussex Railway, is also numbered 14.
- Charlie's number 14 likely originates from the fact that he was the fourteenth standard gauge engine to appear in CGI.
- Charlie has the most voice actors in the US dub who do not voice him at all in the UK dub as well (with the exception of The Great Race), these being Glenn Wrage, Ben Small and Steven Kynman.
- Charlie has undergone a few changes since his introduction:
- Series 17:
- The silver ring around the cap of his lamp disappeared.
- The Great Race:
- He gained four rivets above each of his front buffers.
- Series 17:
- Charlie was not in the original script for Splish Splash Splosh. Billy had the role of the engine getting splashed at the signal by Thomas instead.
- He shares his name with Edward's Driver.
- Charlie's whistle was reused for the character Pramath in the 2013 Disney movie Planes.
- Wooden Railway (normal and battery-powered; discontinued)
- Take-n-Play (normal and talking; discontinued)
- Mega Bloks (discontinued)
- My Thomas Story Library (discontinued)
- Capsule Plarail (Japan only)
- Collectible Railway
- Boss (discontinued)
- Push Along
- Classic Minis
- Robo Minis
- DC Super Friends Minis (as The Riddler)
- Sweets Minis
- Glow in the Dark Minis
- Fruits Minis
- Pop Art Minis
- Light Up Minis
- Neon Glow in the Dark Minis
- Christmas Minis
- Spring Basket Minis
- Music Minis
- Adventures (discontinued)
- Engine Adventures
- Wood (redesigned in 2019)
- Railway Pals