Clearwater Features Ltd. was a company in Shepperton that made and produced the first/second series of Thomas the Tank Engine & Friends between 1984 and 1986 for Britt Allcroft Limited. It is also known for creating TUGS.
Clearwater was founded in 1983 by Robert D. Cardona and David Mitton, the latter of whom did most of the work on Thomas the Tank Engine & Friends. The company produced many commercials, six hundred top-rating television programs, two feature films, and three television movies. It closed down on 31 December 1990 after seven years at work because of TUGS' end of production. When Britt Allcroft's return from the United States, she purchased the models and sets used for TUGS. Thomas the Tank Engine & Friends remained produced by The Britt Allcroft Company (renamed Gullane Entertainment in 2000) between 1991 and 2003.
- When the studio closed, David Mitton went to work for The Britt Allcroft Company and Robert D. Cardona went to live in Canada and work on Theodore Tugboat.
- The production logo of Clearwater Features was a Cadillac car parked at a film studio with palm trees.
- Clearwater Features' logo appeared on the ending on every episode of Thomas the Tank Engine & Friends until 1986.
- In the TUGS episode, Regatta, a barge that reproduces the company logo appeared.
- Clearwater Features - TUGS Wiki