A Crane is a machine equipped with wire rope or chains and sometimes fitted with hooks or grabbers. They are used to lift heavy loads like crates, pipes, wood and other things.
The Rolling Gantry Crane
It first appeared in the Railway Series book, Henry the Green Engine and has been stationed at Tidmouth Harbour since. In the television series, it first appeared in the first series up until the seventh series. It last appeared in the spin-off series, Jack and the Pack episode Jack Owns Up.
- Ertl Company (discontinued)
- De Agostini (discontinued)
- Thomas Engine Collection Series (discontinued)
- Departing Now (discontinued)
- Nakayoshi (discontinued)
- Bluebird Toys (Part of the Miniature Railway set; discontinued)
Various stationary Steam-Powered Cranes have been used as background stock in the television series. More specifically these cranes have been seen at the Timber Yard, Norramby Fishing Village, Boulder Quarry, the Works, Knapford Sheds and the Wharf.
- The large-scale model of the Narrow Gauge Breakdown Crane was briefly reused as a stationary crane used for set dressing at the Works and Knapford Sheds in the seventh series episodes, Something Fishy, Gordon and Spencer and Bulgy Rides Again.
The Wellsworth Scrap Yard Crane
The crane was painted brown.
Tower Cranes are very tall and can reach higher places. They made frequent appearances behind Knapford in the first and second series. They were used at Boulder Quarry and Brendam during the fifth series.
These cranes were painted brown and red.
The "Grabber" is the nickname for a crane with large retracting claws used for dismantling, smelting and scrapping machinery based at the Sodor Ironworks.
- In the fifth series episode, Stepney Gets Lost, the narrator implies that the "Grabber" is sentient.
- Tomica (discontinued)
- It is unknown what the letters "A.J.R." stand for.
Many cranes work at dockyards located on the Mainland. Some cranes worked at the Great Yarmouth Docks. Two other cranes work at another harbour on the Mainland.
The cranes are painted grey and brown.
The cranes are based on photo references of various cranes from the 1920s to the 1950s. Cranky is also a member of this class.
The Pink Hammerhead Crane
The crane is mainly painted magenta, with a grey cabin and supports. The side of the crane is painted with yellow and magenta hazard stripes.
Other various types of cranes have been used as background stock in the television series. These can be found all over Sodor and other places.
In Big World! Big Adventures!, several recoloured cranes were seen in other countries.
- Wooden Railway (various versions; discontinued)