|This article is about the crane. You may be looking for the Story Library book or the Engine Adventures book.|
Cranky is a tall, grumpy dockyard crane who lives and works at Brendam Docks.
Thomas & Friends
Cranky bullied Thomas and Percy by delaying their loads and calling them "bugs". He later got his comeuppance after a tramp steamer crashed into him and he had to be rescued by the two tank engines. Afterwards, he promised never to insult them again. However, he still teases the engines occasionally, such as when Percy complained that there was too much work and when Henry arrived at the Docks in a barge full of fish.
Despite his lack of sleep, Cranky works very hard, but his working attitude makes the engines cross whenever they think that Cranky is too slow - as a result of their insults, Cranky can sometimes cause accidents.
Although he is naturally grumpy, Cranky has shown that he has a kind side too. He once helped Thomas out of trouble when he and Percy were playing "Hide and Peep" by finding Percy in the dry dock.
He has befriended a seagull that often visits him and has named it, rather fittingly, Seagull. Cranky is not fond of all animals though and is shown to have a fear of elephants.
In the seventeenth series, Cranky needed some help, so Kevin was sent to help him. However, Cranky refused the help, leading Kevin to fall into the sea. Cranky rescued Kevin and apologised for being so mean. He later called Charlie silly when he told him about the elephant on the line and warned Thomas about the icy tracks.
In Tale of the Brave, Cranky attempted to stop a ship that Gator was on after Thomas thought that Percy was on board the ship. However, this resulted in Cranky breaking, forcing the ship to turn back.
Cranky was later unloading a crate from a ship at Brendam, but accidentally dropped the crate to the ground. Fearing the contents inside of the crate were broken, Cranky hid the crate out of sight, though it was later found and taken to the Town Hall.
In the twentieth series, Cranky teased James while he was pouting by saying he looked crankier than himself.
In the twenty-first series, Cranky believed he would be replaced with a big new fancy crane and so he began working hard all through the night. Unfortunately, the resulted in him making several mistakes. This led The Fat Controller to buy a big, new, shiny crane named Carly. Although liking Carly at first, Cranky believed she was competitive as she had unintentionally left him with no work to do as Carly was doing all of it. Cranky frantically tried to outdo her until their hooks became entangled and they found themselves stuck fast and unable to move. After Salty told a story of a two-headed monster that worked together, he and Carly started working together and welcomed Big Mickey to their team after many years of silence.
As his own name would imply, Cranky is extremely grumpy because he is initially kept working day and night without rest. Although nowadays he is able to sleep properly, he still maintains his cranky attitude. Cranky loves teasing the engines and has an intense dislike for Salty's stories. He rarely pays attention due to his perpetual bad temper. According to Big Mickey, throughout all the years he has been at the docks, Cranky has never said a single word to him.
However, Cranky has at times shown a bit of kindness, such as when he sympathised for Percy after Thomas went missing on Misty Island and also when he used a large reflective mirror to show Henry his glowing paint. He has started to become friends with the engines working at the docks.
Cranky is painted olive with black and brown pulleys amongst his mechanism. He also has two nameplates on his sides that display his name in yellow lettering.
- Cranky can be dismantled and shifted to different locations, despite it never being mentioned or shown in the show; however, there are some cases where Cranky has not been seen at Brendam.
- Before the script was cut, Cranky was to have a much larger role in Thomas and the Magic Railroad.
- In the aforementioned film, he was located in the yards at Knapford Station rather than Brendam Docks.
- In the Serbian dub, Cranky's name is Mrgud, which is also Bulgy's name in the same language.
- One of Cranky's models used to be on display in Canada at Nitrogen Studios. It is now on display at Drayton Manor Theme Park.
- Cranky's crew can access him by a floor hatch underneath his body. This is also annotated in his concept art.
- Cranky's original Plarail and Wooden Railway toys were painted light grey instead of olive green.
- Cranky was the first non-Awdry character introduced to the TV series who was not Railway Series-related with a freelance basis.
- The My First Thomas toy of Cranky is incorrectly painted blue instead of green.
- According to an interview with Sodor Island Forums, Cranky is one of Mark Moraghan's favourite characters alongside Percy.
- Cranky has two seagull friends named Seagull and Stuart.
- “You're useless little bugs! If you put these freight trucks/cars on the inside lines, then I wouldn't have so far to travel!”
- ―Cranky's first dialogue, Cranky Bugs, fifth series
- “These ships can't be kept waiting. They have important cargo. If they miss the tide, they will be delayed in the docks. You should look up to the ships and show more respect. You are, after all, only little”
- ―Cranky's second appearance, Horrid Lorry, fifth series
- ERTL (discontinued)
- Wooden Railway (normal and deluxe versions; all discontinued)
- Take-Along (discontinued)
- Take-n-Play (discontinued)
- Adventures (discontinued)
- Motor Road and Rail (discontinued)
- TrackMaster (regular and remote control; remote control discontinued)
- TrackMaster Push Along
- Trading Cards (discontinued)
- LEGO (discontinued)
- My First Thomas (discontinued)
- Brio (discontinued)
- Wind-up (normal and metallic; Japan only)
- Limited Edition Collection
- New Block
- Pocket Fantasy (discontinued)
- Thomas Engine Collection Series (discontinued)
- Thomas Town (discontinued)
- My Thomas Story Library (discontinued)
- Engine Adventures
- Nakayoshi (discontinued)
- Collectible Railway
- Mega Bloks (discontinued)
- Motorized Railway
- Minis (Motorized Raceway)
- Super Station