|This article is about the episode. You may be looking for the magazine story.|
- “What's a new-funneled nuisance Edward?”
- ―Percy to Edward
Edward Strikes Out is the seventeenth episode of the tenth series.
Edward the Blue Engine has worked on the Fat Controller's railway the longest. He knows everybody, and everybody knows him. One summer morning, Edward arrives at Brendam Docks to pick up some heavy pipes. Gordon and Thomas are there; Thomas is excited because a new crane arrived on the island. He thinks the crane looks very strong and could even lift up Gordon, making him cross as Thomas puffs away. Gordon points out that the crane has no engine, so he cannot move unless another engine pulls him. Edward notices this too and believes that means the new crane cannot be really useful. Gordon agrees and says that he will only get in the way. Percy arrives, also feeling excited about the new crane. Gordon and Edward declare the crane is not useful and will get in the way, and Gordon dismisses the crane as "new-fangled nonsense" and puffs away. Percy asks what a "new-funneled nuisance" is, to which Edward corrects him, saying that the insult "new-fangled nonsense" is something that is new and not Really Useful.
Soon Edward collects his flatbeds of pipes, which are right next to the crane. The crane introduces himself to Edward, stating that his name is Rocky and asks to help him. Edward neglects Rocky's help, calling him the said insult, and he puffs away before the pipes are secured.
When Edward approaches a signal, he is so lost in thought about Rocky that he winds up running too fast. The signal suddenly turns red, so he brakes as hard as he can. But Edward stops so abruptly that the sides of his flatbeds collapse, and the pipes fall onto the rails. As Edward wonders what to do, he remembers that Thomas said Rocky was very strong and refuses to get Rocky, and has his driver telephone for Harvey instead.
Harvey comes to help move the pipes, but they are so heavy, he can only lift one at a time. He points out that it is going to take a long time to clear the line. Thomas and Emily arrive and stop when they see the pipes blocking their track. Thomas suggests to Edward to go get Rocky, but Edward continues to refuse and says they have to be patient. Emily pouts that she dislikes being patient, and she and Thomas have a very important job to do. Just then, Gordon comes round a bend really fast, and before he can stop, he runs over the pipes and derails, leaving everything in a terrible mess. Harvey declares that Gordon is too heavy for him to lift, and Thomas tells Edward that they need Rocky. Gordon sniffs crossly, but Edward knows that Harvey can't lift Gordon and realises only Rocky can fix the mess, and he races to the Docks to collect him.
Edward arrives at the Docks and pulls up alongside Rocky, telling him that they need his help right away. Rocky is pleased to help, so Edward buffers up to him, and they set off for the junction. As they make their way to the junction, children cheer and wave, making Edward very proud to be pulling Sodor's newest arrival.
At last, Edward and Rocky arrive, and Rocky declares he can fix the problem. Sure enough, Rocky uses his mighty crane arm to lift Gordon back onto the tracks, and Gordon is surprised that Rocky can lift him after all. Then, Rocky lifts all the pipes off the tracks in little time, and Edward realises that he spoke too soon. He admits that Rocky may be new, but he is really useful, and he and all the engines whistle, welcoming Rocky to their railway.
- Henry (cameo)
- Bill and Ben (cameo)
- Butch (cameo)
- Cranky (cameo)
- The Storyteller (cameo)
- Big Mickey (faceless, cameo)
- Sir Topham Hatt (mentioned)
- Going by production order, this is the eighteenth episode of the tenth series.
- When Gordon is speeding along the line towards the pipes, the footage is sped up.
- This marks Harvey's last speaking role until The Great Discovery and his last speaking role in an episode until the seventeenth series episode, Gone Fishing.
- When Edward and Rocky leave Brendam Docks to pick up the pipes, Rocky says "Go get 'em, Edward!" in the US dub. This line is not spoken in the UK dub.
- This episode marks Rocky's only speaking role in the tenth series.
- Gordon's perspex model was used throughout the entire episode, most likely not to damage the brass model during the crash scene.
- When Edward is approaching the signal, it seems to be some metres in front of him, but he is seen travelling much further before he stops.
- When Harvey says "This is going to take me a very long time!", his eyes are wonky.
- In the shot of Edward pulling Rocky down the hill, Rocky's crane arm jerks up a bit.
- Gordon's tender is derailed in a close-up.
- Numerous sound effects are out of sync in the US version.
- When Edward arrives with Rocky, the latter's eyes are wonky.
- My Thomas Story Library - Rocky (discontinued)
- Category: Books - Do Not! Do Not Ask Him for Help
- Magazine Stories - Edward Strikes Out
In Other Languages
Home Media Releases