Engines and Escapades is a UK, US, Canadian, South African, Thai, Spanish, Latin American, Dutch, German, Norwegian, Danish, Swedish, Finnish and Arabic DVD focusing on the narrow gauge engines featuring six episodes from the eleventh series including a song dedicated to the narrow gauge engines.
These episodes were not aired on television UK and the US until after the release of this DVD. The DVD includes an exclusive opening in which Thomas arrives at the Narrow Gauge Railway and sees all the Narrow Gauge Engines at work.
- 1 Description
- 2 Episodes
- 3 Songs
- 4 Bonus Feature (US Only)
- 5 Trivia
- 6 Goofs
- 7 Merchandise
- 8 DVD Packs
- 9 Trailer
2007 UK/2010 AUS
Six brand new Thomas & Friends episodes never seen on TV before!
Enter the exciting world of the narrow gauge railway and travel high up to the hills of Sodor where the intrepid little narrow gauge engines have many amazing adventures in some exhilarating and epic environments!
Enter the exciting world of the narrow gauge railway and travel high up to the hills of Sodor where the intrepid little narrow gauge engines have many amazing adventures in some exhilarating and epic environments! The narrow gauge engines include such favourites as the wise Sir Handel, the brash and boisterous Duncan and the mischief-making & fun living duo Rheneas and Skarloey.
Join the Narrow Gauge engines in these adventures and meet Madge, their newest friend. Adventures and surprises are around every corner, so hold on tight and watch as the Island of Sodor bustles with hilarious antics and non-stop action.
Join Thomas and his friends when they have fun in the snow! Also, they must help someone to safety when a storm comes to Sodor. And in the episode "Pling-a-Ling," Mr. Percival gets a new bicycle, but the bicycle needs a bell. They try many different bells, until they find the right one.
- Duncan Does it All - Duncan becomes fed up with his straw deliveries, so he decides to find a more important job. When he does neither of his new jobs properly, Rusty and Skarloey get the blame!
- Sir Handel in Charge - The Thin Controller asks Sir Handel to ensure that a train full of logs is ready for Thomas to collect by getting the very first engines he sees to help him…but will Sir Handel listen?
- Cool Truckings * - Madge learns that slow and careful is the best way to be, when having fun in the snow turns into a hazardous activity.
- Ding-a-Ling - Mr Percival, The Thin Controller, has a new bicycle – but it's missing a bell. Freddie becomes determined to find one, trying out a cow bell and some clowns’ bells until he eventually finds the perfect bell to use.
- Skarloey Storms Through - When a storm comes to the hills of Sodor, the narrow gauge engines are called to bring the sheep to safety. But can Skarloey conquer his fears and save the sheep in danger?
- Wash Behind Your Buffers * - the day of the country show and Madge the snub-nose lorry is to pull the brass band. Interfering Madge doesn’t get herself clean in good time so the engineers have to start over again.
(Followed by a song)*
- Cool Truckings
- Skarloey Storms Through
- Sir Handel in Charge
- Wash Behind Your Buffers
- Duncan Does it All
Bonus Feature (US Only)
- Fireman Sam Bonus Episode: "Fiery Finale"
- This is the only UK, US and German DVD to feature the Reverend W. Awdry's letter before the opening credits, similar to the Series 8 South African releases, although it would later be seen on some HiT Favorites DVDs; also while being the only UK DVD to feature the full eleventh series Engine Roll Call music video in widescreen.
- The opening of the 2007 release of the UK DVD uses the 1997 HiT Entertainment logo instead of the 2007 logo. This was either an error or it was produced prior to the making of the new 2007 logo.
- The background of the 2007 UK main menu was later used for the cover of the Thomas and the Lighthouse book. Thomas' buffer beam can also be seen underneath the moving track.
- Despite it having eleventh series episodes, the 2008 UK DVD menu opening uses scenes from the opening of the eighth series.
- This is the first US DVD that features the French narration track. This is also the last US DVD originally released by 20th Century Fox.
- The US DVD includes a bonus episode from Fireman Sam, called "Fiery Finale."
- The US DVD features an early Fox trailer of The Great Discovery, which features an earlier logo and ends with: "Coming September 9th on DVD, from Hit Entertainment." This was reused as a template for the UK theatrical/DVD trailers, and was later edited when KidToon Films released a trailer for the film's release in theatres, altering the concept logo with the current one, getting rid of the Fox logo and replaced it with the Lionsgate logo and the quote was also altered, saying: "The Great Discovery, from Hit Entertainment."
- This is the only US DVD release to feature solely eleventh series episodes. Not counting the digital download Fun on the Rails, despite only containing episodes from the eleventh series, it was never released in DVD form.
- This is also the last German DVD to feature a booklet inside, the first being Thomas and the Magic Railroad.
- The German DVD has no DVD menu.
- The German DVD uses audio from the normal "Welcome to the Island of Sodor" sequence, instead of recording new lines exclusively for this DVD.
- On the Norwegian, Swedish and Finnish DVDs, the title cards are in Danish.
- On the back cover of the UK release, Skarloey is wearing one of Rheneas' face masks
- The 2008 UK DVD disc is mirrored.
- The South African DVD back cover features the episode listing and descriptions from the UK/AUS DVD, despite the DVD itself having 5 different episodes. Additionally, the South African back cover states the DVD is 16:9 anamorphic when in fact the episodes are shown in 4:3.
- In the description on the back cover of the Norwegian release, "Pling-a-Ling" is misspelled "Pling-a-Lig."
- In the main menu of the Norwegian release, part of Sir Handel is visible under one of Thomas' buffers.
- In the episode selection menu of the Norwegian release, part of Thomas' face is visible in the bottom-left corner.
- Michael Angelis is credited in the opening of the Norwegian DVD.
- On the Norwegian DVD, the episodes are slightly out of sync.
- Narrow Gauge Engines Gift Pack
- Narrow Gauge I.D. Pack