Ferdinand, Bash and Dash found Thomas on Misty Island and helped him collect Jobi Wood to take back to Sodor. Unfortunately, Ferdinand and the twins ran out of oil while going through the Misty Island Tunnel. Luckily, Whiff and Percy were able to rescue Thomas, Bash, Dash and Ferdinand and took them all back to Sodor. Ferdinand then helped with the completion of the Sodor Search and Rescue Centre along with Bash and Dash.
Ferdinand is the gentle giant of Misty Island, where he works with twin engines Bash and Dash. Instead of burning coal, Ferdinand runs on wood and oil. He is bigger and slower than Bash and Dash, but will always endeavour to join in all the same. He may come across as the simpler-minded, quieter, or even more bashful engine of the three due to his tendency to often let the more boisterous Bash and Dash do most of the talking, but often manages to get in a comment of "That's right!" during the trio's antics. Nevertheless, he is just as fun-loving, goofy and whacky as the other two. He is considerate, inquisitive, has a big heart and enjoys joining in and laughing along where-ever there are fun and games to be had.
Ferdinand is based on a Climax Class C logging locomotive.
Ferdinand is painted teal with blue-grey lining. He has a semi-circular symbol depicting three yellow trees with two brown axes crossing each other on both sides of his cab and tender.
- 2010 - Misty Island Rescue (does not speak)
- 2011 - Misty Island Rescue (does not speak), Thomas' Crazy Day (does not speak), Jumping Jobi Wood (does not speak) and Gordon and Ferdinand (speaks in speech bubble only)
- 2012 - Toby and Bash (does not speak), Making Hiro Happy (cameo), Ol' Wheezy Wobbles and Welcome Stafford (speaks in speech bubble only)
- 2013 - Christmas Tree Express (does not speak)
- 2014 - Wobbly Ol' Wheezy
- 2015 - Toby and Bash (does not speak)
- 2016 - Toby and Bash (speaks in speech bubble only) and Jumping Jobi Wood
- Ben Small (UK)
- Glenn Wrage (US)
- Bernard Demory (France and French speaking Canada)
- Robin Brosch (Germany)
- Christian Greger Strøm (Norway)
- Kōichi Sakaguchi (Japan)
- Jarosław Boberek (Poland)
- Héctor Moreno (Latin America)
- Gadi Levy (Israel)
- Mariano García (Spain)
- Jukka Voutilainen (Finland)
- Loukas Frangoulis (Greece)
- Ferdinand can run on either wood or oil.
- He travels far faster in the television series than his basis is capable of.
- Ferdinand is the only engine from Misty Island that appears in the Arc Productions era, although he is yet to have any speaking roles.
- Ferdinand is modified for working on British railways. He has added buffers and screw link couplings.
- His Collectible Railway toy has a black buffer beam as well as a fowler tender.
- His lamp would later be re-used for Rosie.
- In more recent episodes, he made some portrait cameo appearances in Sir Topham Hatt's Office.
- His whistle would later be re-used for one of The Grey Tender Engines.
- Wooden Railway (discontinued)
- Take-n-Play (normal and talking; discontinued)
- Adventures (discontinued)
- TrackMaster (discontinued)
- Capsule Plarail (Japan only)
- Capsule Collection
- Boss (discontinued)
- Collectible Railway
- Classic Minis
- DC Super Friends Minis (as Martian Manhunter and Mr. Freeze)
- Sweets Minis
- Wood (cancelled 2018, rerelease coming 2019)