- “You don't know the rules!”
- ―Fergus to Diesel
Fergus Breaks the Rules, retitled Thomas and the Search for Fergus in one American release, is the eighteenth episode of the seventh series.
The Fat Controller has brought Diesel to help out at the Cement Works for a while. However, Diesel becomes annoyed with Fergus. Later on, Diesel lies to Fergus about the Fat Controller sending him to work at the scrapyards. When Fergus arrives, 'Arry and Bert frighten the traction engine and he runs away. The Fat Controller receives a call that Fergus is missing. So, he sends Thomas to search for him. He finds Fergus hiding in a siding near the abandoned mine and takes him to the smelters yards where the Fat Controller is waiting. Thomas explained what happened, and the Fat Controller proudly tells Fergus to return to the Cement Works, and that Diesel shall be sent to the smelters instead. Fergus is very happy to go back to being the pride of the Cement Works.
- 'Arry and Bert
- Sir Topham Hatt
- Percy (cameo)
- Farmer Trotter (cameo)
- The Butler (cameo)
- The Sheep Field
- Sodor Cement Works
- Sodor Ironworks
- Topham Hall
- Callan Castle
- Castle Loch Causeway
- Maithwaite Quarry Mine
- Going by production order, this is the nineteenth episode of the seventh series.
- Some scrap models of Thomas, Gordon, James, Donald or Douglas, Toad and City of Truro are seen in the smelter's as well as two of the scrapped tenders from the third series episode, Tender Engines.
- Stock footage from Bill, Ben and Fergus is used.
- This episode marks Fergus' last appearance and speaking role to date.
- This is one of several episodes from the seventh season to have its title card read on Nick Jr. and PBS airings.
- Michael Brandon's narration was used for the UK HiT Favourites DVD, The Groovy Collection.
- Not counting deleted scenes in Something Fishy and Peace and Quiet, this marks the first and only appearance of the Sodor Cement Works in an episode to date.
- Elizabeth's Shed appears at the quarry Fergus hides in.
- This episode marks Diesel's only appearance in the seventh series.
- When Thomas and Fergus arrive at the smelters, Thomas' eyes are wonky.
- Just before 'Arry and Bert come into view, a crew member's hand can be seen holding them back and then releasing them.
- A red wire can be seen underneath Fergus when he first arrived at the smelter's yard.
- When Fergus arrives at the Smelters and escapes, his lamp is on his right side. When he hides in the siding, his lamp is on his left side.
- During some scenes at the quarry, Fergus' right front buffer is crooked.
- In the UK narration when the Fat Controller reminds Fergus that he is the pride of the cement works, his line is not in sync with the zoom in.
- When Arry and Bert come into view, Berts' eyes are wonky
In Other Languages
|Danish||Fergus stikker af|
|Hungarian||Fergus Megszegi a Szabályt|
|Polish||Franek Łamie Reguły|
|Romanian||Fergus Încalcă Regulile|
|Russian||Фэргус нарушает правила|
|Serbian||Fergus je prekršio pravilo|
|Slovak||Fergus porušuje pravidlá|
|Swedish||Fergy bryter mot reglerna|
|Welsh||Fergus yn Dianc|