Frieda was present when she and the other international engines accidentally arrived on Sodor instead of the Mainland. When Thomas came to the Mainland to bring Gordon his safety valve, he mistook Frieda for Gordon. Frieda scoffed at this and puffed away to compete in the strength competition alongside Henry, Hiro, Vinnie and Shane, but the winner of the competition was left unknown.
After the Great Railway Show ended, Frieda left the Mainland and returned to Germany.
Frieda is a sleek, blue streamlined engine from Germany. Aside from being described as beautiful and strong, she can show to prove that anything the boys can do, the girls could do better. Frieda is also a rather grumpy engine, who does not smile much, and does not suffer fools gladly.
Frieda is based on the DB Class 10 built by Krupp in 1957. One of the two locomotives, 10 001 is preserved at the German Steam Locomotive Museum in Neuenmarkt-Wirsberg.
Frieda is painted blue with yellow and red lining and red wheels. She has the number "409" painted on the sides of her tender in red, and the German flag painted on both the sides of her streamlined casing and tender.
- 2016 - The Great Race
- 2016 - Meet the Contenders: Frieda of Germany (does not speak)
- 2017 - Great Race Friends Near and Far: Frieda the Grumpiest Engine
- 2016 - 6-Movie Coloring Collection (cameo), Off to the Races! (cameo), The Great Railway Show (cameo), The Great Race (cameo), The Great Race: Sticker Activity Book and The Great Race: The Movie Storybook (cameo)
- 2017 - Thomas and the Trains of the World
- 2018 - Character Encyclopedia
- 2019 - Engines Around the World
- Teresa Gallagher (UK/US)
- Erina Yamazaki (Japan)
- Analiz Sánchez (Latin America)
- Katja Brügger (Germany)
- Mercedes Espinosa (Spain)
- Olga Golovanov (Russia)
|First used||Last used||Sound Effect|
|The Great Race||Active|
- The German flag painted on Frieda's tender and streamlined casing is inaccurate to the real German flag; the red band is on the top and the black is in the middle. This problem is fixed on her Wooden Railway toy, some current promos, and Great Race Friends Near and Far videos.
- Frieda's Wooden Railway prototype incorrectly had coal in the tender; both members of her class were built or rebuilt as oil-burning locomotives. This was fixed on the final toy.
- Frieda's face is based on German actress, Diane Kruger.
- Wooden Railway (discontinued)