The Railway Series
Over a distance of eight kilometres (five miles), the line climbs around a hundred metres (280 feet) from Suddery Junction to reach Maron, meaning a gradient of 1:75 and a severe test for engines on the North Western Railway.
Bankers are often required to help trains up the hill. However, they run the risk of being chased by a runaway train or rear ending the train they are helping - something Duck found out the hard way twice, once with Edward and again with Henry.
When the railway was first built, this stretch was made even more difficult by strong winds blown in by the sea. This was attempted to be countered by the planting of trees on either side of the line, but in autumn there can be the additional risk of slippery leaves on the line, as James soon discovered.
Thomas & Friends
Gordon's Hill has been seen frequently throughout the television series. Edward is usually seen banking engines on the hill when they are stuck halfway up, though occasionally other engines such as Toby and Duck have done the job.
The foot of the hill is also the site of many crashes, such as when a calliope ran away from Percy and came off the rails at the bottom of the hill, Also when Thomas ran a new car from Sir Topham Hatt for not being hooked to the platform of the wagon or when a giant snowball knocked Emily off of the tracks.
- Gordon's Hill is based on the Lickey Incline near King's Norton station on the Midland Railway.
- Whilst it is probably a coincidence, there is a real place in London called "Gordon Hill".
- While the occasional accidents/events have happened on the hill, it has been the starting place for countless runaway trains, with either couplings breaking or an engine having faulty brakes.
- Gordon's Hill has had numerous modifications throughout the years:
- Series 2:
- Points are added near the top of the hill.
- Series 3:
- The points near the top of the hill are removed.
- Series 8:
- The hill is much shorter, with the bottom now being where the rails curve.
- The bridge at the bottom also disappeared.
- The design of the East facing side of the hill changes, now looking much more similar to the West facing side.
- Hero of the Rails:
- The hill becomes much steeper.
- The bottom of the hill becomes flatter.
- There also appears to be two models of the hill. On one version, the ocean could be seen on the curved rail side and the other model has the ocean on the straight rail side.
- King of the Railway:
- The other side of the hill is modelled in CGI with the Ulfstead Branch Line junction being added.
- Tale of the Brave:
- The junction is removed.
- Series 2:
- Gordon's Hill is one of only two locations to appear in every series of Thomas & Friends, the other being Tidmouth Sheds.