- “Thank you for helping me today. Maybe an important engine like me needs help sometimes.”
- ―Gordon thanking Donald and Douglas for helping him
Gordon and the Engineer, retitled Gordon and the Mechanic in American releases, is the sixth episode of the eleventh series.
The points on the Fat Controller's Railway are jammed and Gordon is asked to collect an engineer from Maron. When he arrives, he sees a man with a toolbox, thinking he is the engineer and has him climb onboard. The stationmaster warns him to wait for Bertie to bring more passengers, but Gordon, knowing that fixing the points is important, leaves anyway. But Gordon does not not know that the engineer is in fact one of Bertie's passengers back at Maron and that the man in his express is not the engineer.
When Gordon arrives at the signal box, Thomas tells the man about the points, but he says that he is a carpenter who thought Gordon was taking him to Brendam. Gordon realises he left the engineer behind and that he has to go back to get him, but the signalman tells him he cannot go back on the express line with his coaches. Thomas suggests that Gordon uses his line to reverse down to Maron. Gordon leaves his coaches and reverses to the next station, but Douglas is in the way. He tells him to move, but Douglas said he can go as far as where Donald is. Thinking quickly, Gordon suggests Douglas reverse to the next station to get Donald to reverse to Maron to collect the engineer, and then work forwards again. The idea works and the railway returns to running normally again.
- Donald and Douglas
- Sir Topham Hatt
- The Carpenter
- The Engineer
- Bertie (does not speak)
- James (speaks only in the Sprout Airings, US Digital Download and Japanese narrations; does not speak in other dubs)
- Henry (speaks in other dubs; does not speak in Japanese dub)
- Percy (cameo)
- Toby (cameo)
- Arthur (cameo)
- Rocky (cameo)
- Big Mickey (cameo)
- Emily (stock footage cameo)
- Annie and Clarabel (stock footage cameo)
- On the US Digital Download, Fun on the Rails Playpack and Sprout Channel airings, James has a speaking role; he says, "Hurry up, Gordon!"
- Stock footage from Emily's Rubbish is used.
- A deleted alternate angle of the scene of Percy, Toby and Gordon at Brendam Docks is used in another episode, Hide and Peep.
- This episode marks the first of two things:
- Donald and Douglas' first appearances since the seventh series episodes, Bad Day at Castle Loch and Gordon and Spencer respectively, not counting stock footage for Donald in another seventh season episode, Harold and the Flying Horse and a deleted scene from the eighth series episode, Edward the Great. This is also their only appearance in the eleventh series.
- Arthur's first appearance in an episode since the eighth series episode, Fish.
- Going by production order, this is the second episode of the eleventh series.
- Donald and Douglas have Duck's whistle sound.
- When Gordon comes back to the signal box with the engineer, he is travelling on his express line and his coaches have disappeared.
- Gordon said that all the engines can help though in fact it was just Donald and Douglas who attempted to help him.
- Though one is not seen, a shadow at the top of the screen reveals that there are three signals in the shot of Gordon with the express. However, there are only two tracks, so the third signal is redundant. Also they are all up, so Gordon is technically passing a signal at danger.
In Other Languages