Gullane Entertainment was a British independent production company which produced children's programming, including Thomas & Friends, Shining Time Station as well as the film Thomas and the Magic Railroad. The Company was owned by Britt Allcroft herself.
The "Gullane Entertainment" name (derived from their US distribution arm Gullane Pictures, which also produced several feature films) was adopted on 7 September 2000 after Britt Allcroft stepped down as sole producer at The Britt Allcroft Company.
The company produced the third to fifth series (under its original name, The Britt Allcroft Company) the feature film Thomas and the Magic Railroad (under their Gullane Pictures arm) Series 6, Series 7, and the Jack in the Pack spin-off series (under its current name).
Throughout the years, Gullane bought many franchises to go along with Thomas & Friends and Magic Adventures of Mumfie, including Sooty, Art Attack, Fireman Sam, James the Cat, Captain Pugwash and Eckhart.
Gullane Entertainment was acquired by HiT Entertainment in 2002 and went defunct by 2003. In 2012, HiT themselves had been purchased by Mattel. In March 2016, HiT merged with Mattel Playground Productions to form Mattel Creations, a company created to bring all content creation units together under Mattel’s Chief Content Officer Catherine Balsam-Schwaber.
UK VHS and DVD Releases
- My Little Thomas and Percy Adventures
- Truck Loads of Fun
- The Complete Fourth Series (VHS)
- My Little Thomas and Bertie Adventures
- Seasonal Scrapes
- Time for Trouble and other stories (2001)
- Escape and other stories (2001)
- My Little Thomas and Toby Adventures
- The Very Best of Thomas and Friends (VHS)
- The Complete Fifth Series (VHS)
- My Little Thomas and the Royal Visitor
- The Fogman and Other Stories
- My Little Thomas & Friends Volume 1
- The Biggest Ever Christmas Collection (2002)
- Thomas Goes Fishing and other stories (2002)
- Down the Mine and other stories (2002)
US VHS and DVD Releases
- Thomas' Trackside Tunes and Other Thomas Adventures (VHS)
- Best of Percy (VHS)
- James Learns a Lesson and Other Thomas Adventures (VHS re-release)
- Gallant Old Engine and Other Thomas Stories (VHS re-release)
- Cranky Bugs and Other Thomas Stories (VHS re-release)
- Races, Rescues and Runaways and Other Thomas Adventures (VHS re-release)
- 10 Years of Thomas the Tank Engine & Friends (VHS re-release)
- Best of Thomas
- Best of James
- Thomas and the Special Letter (VHS re-release)
- Sing-Along and Stories (VHS re-release)
- Make Someone Happy and Other Thomas Adventures (DVD)
- Thomas and His Friends Help Out (VHS re-release)
- Best of Percy (DVD)
- Races, Rescues and Runaways and Other Thomas Adventures (DVD)
- Cranky Bugs and Other Thomas Stories (DVD)
- Salty's Secret and Other Thomas Adventures
- Thomas' Christmas Wonderland and Other Thomas Adventures (DVD)
- Spills and Chills and Other Thomas Thrills (DVD)
- Thomas' Magical Musical Ride
- Thomas' Fan Favorite Adventures
- Trust Thomas and Other Stories (VHS re-release)
- Thomas, Percy and the Dragon and Other Stories (VHS re-release)
- Percy's Chocolate Crunch and Other Thomas Adventures (DVD with sampler CD)
- James and the Red Balloon and Other Thomas Adventures (DVD with sampler CD)
- 20th Anniversary Edition Thomas and the Magic Railroad (Distributed by Shout! Factory under the Shout! Factory Kids label and an in-name print only)
- Gullane Entertainment was acquired by HiT Entertainment in 2002, but the copyright of Thomas & Friends remained "Gullane (Thomas) Limited." or "Gullane (Thomas) LLC.", which is still used in all merchandise.
- Gullane purchased Guinness World Records for $65 million in 2001, but HiT's owner sold the GWR to the Jim Pattison Group in early 2008.
- Britt Allcroft Co. Transforms Into Gullane Entertainment
- Gullane succumbs to HiT's advances on The Guardian
- Timeline on Guinness World Records