|This article is about the episode. You may be looking for the DVD, the promotional DVD, the Step into Reading book or the Storybook.|
- “First the rain, then an elephant. What will you be afraid of next?"”
- ―Gordon teasing Henry
One morning, Gordon, Henry and James are in a bad mood - with Thomas running his branch line and Percy nowhere to be found, they are forced to collect their own coaches. James decides to take out his anger on Henry and mocks him about his fear of the rain. Henry retorts that James looks silly enough to be a clown and that he belongs in a circus, which leads Percy, who has just arrived, to believe the engines have heard about the circus that has come to town. He explains that he had been helping to shunt the special trucks and coaches on the Fat Controller's request. The big engines soon forget to be cross and eagerly help out too. When it is time for the circus to leave, James is given the task of pulling the train away, making Gordon and Henry cross once again.
Later that day, the Fat Controller informs Henry that a tunnel is blocked and asks him to take some workmen to investigate. Henry arrives at the tunnel, grumbling all the way, and the workmen enter to examine the blockage. A few moments later, they quickly run out in horror. One explains to the foreman that the blockage is alive and they refuse to go back inside. The foreman does not believe them and decides to ride in the trucks and have Henry push it out. Henry, horrified of the idea of being stuck in a tunnel with something big and alive, protests this decision, but his driver reminds him that the line has to be cleared.
Henry reluctantly and fearfully enters the tunnel with the trucks he brought the workmen in, only for the blockage to push him back out again. Both Henry and the foreman are surprised to discover the "blockage" is a large, cross elephant that had escaped from the circus. The workmen offer the elephant some cake and water to calm him down. However, Henry accidentally startles the elephant by letting off steam, causing him to spray Henry with water. The elephant is soon reunited with his keeper, but Henry is most upset and humiliated by what happened.
That evening, Henry tells the other engines what happened. Although Gordon and James feel sorry for Henry, they continue to tease him. Thomas, however, praises Henry for his bravery and how well he handled the situation.
- Annie and Clarabel
- Sir Topham Hatt
- The Elephant Keeper (does not speak)
- Duck (cameo)
- Stephen Hatt (cameo)
- One Little Boy (cameo)
- Big Mickey (faceless; cameo)
- A reference to the first series episode, The Sad Story of Henry is made.
- Henry's incident with the elephant in the original story was one of the reasons the big engines went on strike, thus leading to Percy’s arrival, while in the television series, due to the story being skipped initially, Percy appears in the adaptation.
- On the PBS Kids Sprout airings and The Greatest Stories DVD, the original opening and end credits are used.
- The models of Big Mickey, Izzy Gomez, and S.S. Vienna from TUGS appear.
- This episode marks the first appearance of Henry's Tunnel since the first series, excluding its appearance in a deleted scene from the previous episode, and its last appearance until the seventh series episode, Emily's New Coaches.
- At the beginning of the episode, Thomas has Edward's whistle sound.
- When the workmen look at the elephant in the tunnel, one of them is missing his right eyebrow.
- Gordon's buffers are crooked in the scenes at Tidmouth Sheds.
- When James says "We get no rest!" and when he is turning around on the turntable, his eyes are wonky.
- During the harbour scene, James' tender body is not properly assembled to its chassis.
- The elephant's keeper's mouth is missing.
- Percy's cab roof has been raised when he is at Tidmouth Sheds.
- When Percy pushes trucks into the yard, the 7-plank truck has black tac visible from where it would have worn a face, while the milk tanker is missing part of its frame.
- When the narrator says, “Poor Henry," Henry’s eyes are wonky.
- Sir Topham Hatt: Well done, Thomas. You're right on time and really reliable.
- Thomas: Thank you, Sir.
- Annie and Clarabel: Ooh, right on time and really reliable.
- James: What's the matter, Henry? There's no rain today. Stop worrying and do some work instead.
- Henry: I'm not afraid of getting wet anymore. Anyway, you look silly enough to be a clown you should join the circus.
- Percy: Oh. So you've heard the news?
- Gordon: What news?
- Percy: About the circus.
- James: Percy, what are you talking about?
- Percy: The circus has arrived. I've been shunting special trucks/cars. Sir Topham Hatt/The Fat Controller needs your help too.
- Henry: An elephant pushed me, an elephant hooshed me!
- Gordon: First the rain, then an elephant. Whatever will you be afraid of next?
- Thomas: Never mind, Henry. I think you were brave today, and really reliable too.
- Take Along (discontinued)
- Wooden Railway (discontinued)
- Thomas Engine Collection Series (discontinued)
- Books - Henry and the Elephant
- Step Into Reading Books - Henry and the Elephant
- Magazine Stories - A Jumbo-Sized Surprise
In Other Languages
Home Media Releases