The Railway Series
He was Trevor's driver prior to the traction engine being sent to Crocks Scrap Yard to be cut up. After Edward convinced the Vicar of Wellsworth to help save Trevor, Jem restored and demonstrated him to the Vicar and his two sons. Thankfully, the Vicar was able to buy Trevor for cheap and continued to hire Jem's services as a driver and mechanic whenever one was required. He also tutored the Vicar's eldest son on how to drive and maintain Trevor.
Thomas & Friends
Jem, along with Farmer Trotter and others, was a part of the rescue team which found Duke. He seems to be very knowledgeable about road steam traction, as he has also driven George. Jem Cole is a skilled mechanic, as shown when he restored Elizabeth and an old narrow gauge coach into a Refreshment Coach. As of the Jack and the Sodor Construction Comapny miniseries, his hair has turned grey and he has grown a beard. In the tenth and eleventh series, he was seen working as a farmer. In the fifteenth series, he was seen fishing with a little boy in the Whistling Woods; this could possibly be his son or grandson. In Day of the Diesels, he helped to extinguish a fire at a barn. In the sixteenth series, he helped to put out another fire, this one being at Sir Topham Hatt's Shed.
He has previously worked as a railway ganger.
Jem Cole is a warm, loving father-figure when looking after Trevor. But when it comes to farming, he can be a strict handyman just to insure the job gets done professionally and flawlessly.
He dresses in typical farmer clothing with a brown fedora, a red/orange vest, white button down shirt, brown trousers and black rubber boots.
- Christopher Ragland (UK/US; Journey Beyond Sodor)
- Kōzō Shioya (Japan; second series only)
- Daisuke Gōri (Japan; Edward, Trevor and the Really Useful Party only)
- Yasuhiro Takato (Japan; Bulgy only)
- Toshio Kobayashi (Japan; fourth series only)
- Hisao Egawa (Japan; fifth series only)
- Yuta Odagaki (Japan; Journey Beyond Sodor)
- Petteri Hynönen (Finland; Day of the Diesels)
- From Jack and the Sodor Construction Company to the eleventh series, Jem Cole's model used Old Bailey's head.
- Jem Cole's appearance changed slightly after being refurbished for the third series, most noticeably his eyes and hat.
- Jem Cole gained a beard in season 11.
- Departing Now (discontinued)