- “The passengers all said what a bad railway it was. Then they told the man how bad he was instead. Everyone was very cross!”
- ―The narrator
Jeremiah Jobling was once a passenger on James' train.
After James bumped the coaches too hard, it was Jeremiah Jobling who had the leather bootlaces needed to mend the brake-pipe along with the newspaper. When he refused to give up the laces, the passengers started to say it was a bad railway and called him a bad man, which pressured him into giving them to the guard. It was not revealed if they were returned.
In the television series, it appears that he has become a railway inspector and once requested James to take him to the Fat Controller for a meeting.
- Hirohiko Kakegawa (Japan; first series only)
- Katsuji Mori (Japan; Bertie's Chase)
- Takeshi Endo (Japan; Daisy)
- Toshio Kobayashi (Japan; third series only)
- Jeremiah was never named in the television series.
- In the third series, his hat was repainted into a different shade of brown. The body of his model was also swapped with other characters from this series onward.
- Departing Now (discontinued)