Lady is a small, Victorian-styled tank engine who serves as the guardian of The Magic Railroad, using her magic to keep the worlds of Shining Time and Sodor alive. She is owned and protected by Burnett Stone, her driver.
Thomas & Friends
Lady once came to the Island of Sodor a long time ago, when she was found by Diesel 10, an evil diesel engine who wanted to destroy her. Lady and Burnett Stone both ran away from Diesel 10, but during the chase, Burnett used up all her coal and made her go too fast, causing Diesel 10 to catch up and crash her. Lady was taken back to Muffle Mountain and stored inside Burnett's workshop, where he spent years desperately trying to restore her to working order, but he did not have the right coal to make her steam.
Years later, Lady was still out of service, and without her, the Magic Railroad began to lose its magic. That all changed when Lily, Burnett's granddaughter, and Thomas brought a truck of coal from Sodor to Muffle Mountain, which proved to be the coal necessary to make her steam. Lady came back to life and returned to Sodor, where she was once again chased by Diesel 10. Lady, Burnett and Thomas successfully managed to escape Diesel 10, and she gave the Conductor Family the Gold Dust they needed.
When the steam and diesel engines were facing a fallout, Lady and Rusty both appeared in a dream of Thomas'. She told him how to resolve the conflict between the two kinds of engines, by working together regardless of their differences.
Lady is a very special engine who holds the secret to the Magic Railroad. When she moves along the rails, she spreads Gold Dust with her special powers. She has been known to help Thomas and his friends, when there is no one else to turn to.
Lady is a freelance design, with no real known locomotive prototype. However, her design does bear some resemblance to the GWR 101 Class, and the 3½ gauge LBSC Tich 0-4-0 side tank locomotive, as well as the Liverpool Overhead Railway's Kitson-built ex-West Lancashire Railway well tank "Lively Polly".
One of Lady's concept art images depicts her as a 2-2-2, resembling Gazelle, a Dodman & Co 0-4-2 Well Tank locomotive from the Shropshire & Montgomeryshire Railway.
David Eves originally intended Lady to be based on the GWR 3031 Class. However, Britt Allcroft wanted her to be a small engine. Coincidentally, the Hornby Emily was manufactured using a repainted GWR 3031 Class.
Lady is painted red-violet with gold head lamps on her front footplate, tail lamp, gold buffers, smokebox, funnel top, dome, whistle, side rods, lining and her name on each side in gold. She is also painted a very dark purple on her cab roof, lower funnel section and her footplate.
- Calling All Engines! - Together
|First used||Last used||Sound Effect|
|Thomas and the Magic Railroad||Thomas and the Magic Railroad|
- Lady is the first standard-gauge steam engine in the television series not to be created by the Rev. W Awdry.
- She was the first female steam engine and tank engine introduced in the television series and the third female engine overall, the first being Daisy and the second being Mavis.
- Her face is only visible on Sodor.
- Lady's ERTL prototype toy was a repaint of Rheneas/Smudger.
- Several promo images and toys incorrectly depict her cab roof, lower funnel section and her footplate black instead of dark purple. Both ERTL and Brio depict her lower funnel section gold instead of dark purple.
- Lady's whistle sound was later reused for Millie.
- Lady has a coupling on her back, but not on her front. The same would later happen with Lexi and Beau.
- Lady has a cover for her coal bunker.
- Lady's replica model is currently on display at the Hara Model Railway Museum.
- The replica model has exposed coal in her coal bunker.
- Originally, Lady was not going to have a speaking role in Thomas and the Magic Railroad, her only way of communicating was "telepathically" with Thomas when he was on Muffle Mountain and her whistle. She was later given lines to help smooth over cuts made to the film.
- Lady was voiced by Britt Allcroft herself, and is the only known role she had in terms of voice.
- On the 24th of November 2017, the life-sized prop was listed for sale on LetGo. The model is currently in a state of disrepair, being repainted, the funnel shortened and details such as lamps, buffers, dome, whistle and coal bunker removed. The money ($2000 USD) had been gathered to purchase it. Lady was soon moved to a storage facility awaiting repair.
- As of June 5, 2019, the prop is now in Florida where it will be restored.
- Her new owners go under the name "Restore the Magic" a non-profit organization who has campained to try and release the director's cut to Thomas and the Magic Railroad.
- Lady had a total of four face masks, one of which was never shown on screen.
- “She's as precious as gold.”
- ―Burnett Stone describing Lady
- “So Burnett, you didn't forget about magic, it's safe inside you.”
- ―Lady to Burnett, Thomas and the Magic Railroad.
- “Well Lady, this is your Shining Time too."
"With your help!" (Uncut Version) "I hope so!" (Edited Version)
- ―Burnett and Lady, Thomas and the Magic Railroad.
- “We always finish our jobs when we work together.”
- ―Lady to Thomas, Calling All Engines!
- ERTL (discontinued)
- Wooden Railway (2000, 2003 and battery powered; reintroduced 2014 "limited release"; discontinued)
- Take Along (normal and metallic; discontinued)
- Motor Road and Rail (discontinued)
- TrackMaster (discontinued)
- My First Thomas (interactive; discontinued)
- Thomas Engine Collection Series (discontinued)
- Mini Die Cast Collection (discontinued)
- Thomas Town (discontinued)
- Nakayoshi (discontinued)
- Woody Capsule Series (discontinued)
- Capsule Plarail (normal and metallic; discontinued)
- Pocket Fantasy (discontinued)
- Brio (discontinued)
- Trading Cards (discontinued)