- “Out of the way, empty trucks/freight cars coming through!”
Molly's Special Special is the fifth episode of the ninth series.
One very windy day on the Island of Sodor, Thomas is excited, as he is on his way to meet a new engine named Molly. He arrives at the yards and meets her, but when he says hello, Molly sadly answers back. Thomas asks Molly why she is upset, and Molly explains that Emily had laughed at her for having the job of pulling "empty trucks" to the Coaling Plant, which made her feel that her job is not really useful. Now, Thomas feels sad, as he wants to help Molly feel important. Then, he sees som tarpaulins flapping nearby, which gives him an idea. He has the tarpaulins put on Molly's empty trucks to make it look like they're covering an important load, and this makes Molly cheerful, declaring that she will feel important after all.
Later, Thomas meets with Emily at Maithwaite Station, and he tells her all about Molly's special special. Thomas does not tell her what it is, but he says it will be "the most special special of all". As Thomas continues seeing other engines, he tells them all about Molly's special special. Later at Knapford, the engines are all excitedly talking about Molly's special. Thomas is at first satisfied, but Gordon declares that Molly's special will not be as important as the Express. Thomas declares it will be much more important, and that it would be shown that night at Abbey... but now, Thomas is worried how to make Molly's trucks look more special than the Express.
That evening, as Thomas passes by Peel, he sees the stationmaster lighting lanterns, and he thinks of another idea. The stationmaster allows him to borrow the lights, and Thomas takes them to Molly. Thomas has the lanterns put on the trucks, and he and Molly set off towards Abbey as the lanterns twinkle like stars.
As the two engines arrive at the station, they find Emily, Percy, and Gordon waiting. Percy and Emily compliment how important Molly looks, making her feel special for the first time since she'd arrived on the island... until a gust of wind blows a tarpaulin off one of the trucks. Now, the secret is revealed, and Gordon declares that he was right: Molly's "special" special isn't as important as the Express after all. Molly, humiliated, steams off, leaving Thomas feeling very bad.
But at that moment, the Fat Controller calls the stationmaster, who then tells Thomas that there are lots of engines waiting for Molly's trucks at the Coaling Plant. Thomas realises how important the situation is, so he races after her as fast as he can.
Molly has stopped in a siding beside a signal box as Thomas pulls up to her. He says he is sorry for making her look silly, but there are engines waiting for her. Molly moans that she has nearly run out of coal, so Thomas volunteers to be her back engine to help her get there.
When Thomas and Molly arrive at the Coaling Plant, the engines are waiting for the empty trucks to deliver coal, and Molly realises her job is important after all. Henry tells her that they need more trucks, so Molly volunteers to get them with Thomas's help.
After Molly has filled up with more coal, she and Thomas go off to the yards to get more trucks, and they puff off. On their way back to the Coaling Plant, they come to a junction. Gordon is waiting there, as his signal has turned to red. Molly teases Gordon saying her empty trucks are coming through, and Thomas cheekily laughs that sometimes, empty trucks are more important than the Express. Molly feels more special than special as she and Thomas continue on their way, while Gordon feels embarassed, as his face turns red.
- The Horrid Lorries
- Sir Topham Hatt (does not speak)
- Edward (cameo)
- James (cameo)
- Sodor Flour Mill
- Sodor Fuel Depot
- The Coaling Plant
- McColl Farm
- Peel Godred
- Tidmouth Tunnel
- Sodor Bakery
- Neville's Bridge
- The Intersection
- Kirk Ronan Junction (deleted scene)
- Going by production order, this is the third episode of the ninth series.
- This is the first episode since the fifth series episode, Horrid Lorry where Sir Topham Hatt appears, but does not have a speaking role.
- A few pictures show deleted scenes where Thomas found the tarpaulins when he and Molly were at Kirk Ronan Junction after Gordon made fun of Molly.
- This is the only episode where Molly appears as a main character to date.
- This episode marks the last appearance of the Intersection to date.
- During the scene at the flour mill, a piece of something can be seen hanging from under Molly's bufferbeam on her lefthand side.
- Before Molly runs away, Gordon's front bogie wheels are derailed.
- When Molly and Thomas arrive at the coaling plant, mechanism can be seen on the undercarriage of the last truck Thomas is pushing.
- When Henry comes up to Molly, the latter's lamp is facing backwards.
- In the Japanese version, trucks is translated as 荷台, which means loading space in Japanese.
In Other Languages