- “Out of the way, empty trucks/freight cars coming through!”
Molly's Special Special is the fifth episode of the ninth series.
On a very windy day on the Island of Sodor, Thomas is excited to meet a new yellow tender engine named Molly. He arrives at the yards and meets Molly, who tells him that she is dismayed that Emily laughed at her for having the job of pulling "empty trucks," Thomas vows to help her make her trucks look important. Thomas has some tarpaulins put on Molly's empty trucks to create the illusion of covering an important load, and is at first satisfied, but later rashly tells Gordon that Molly's special will be more important than the Express, and thinks of another idea. He borrows some lights from Peel and has them put on the trucks.
As the two later show them off to the others, a gust of wind blows a tarpaulin off and the secret is revealed. Molly, humiliated, steams off; but the engines are waiting at the Coaling Plant for the empty trucks to deliver coal, Molly realises her job was important after all. She and Thomas go off to get more trucks, stopping only to tease Gordon, who was stopped at a crossing to let them pass.
- Sodor Flour Mill
- The Coaling Plant
- McColl Farm
- Knapford Yards
- The Castle Tunnel
- Sodor Bakery
- Neville's Bridge
- Sir Topham Hatt's Office
- The Intersection
- Kirk Ronan Junction (deleted scene)
- Going by production order, this is the third episode of the ninth series.
- This is the first episode since the fifth series episode, Horrid Lorry where Sir Topham Hatt appears, but does not have a speaking role.
- A few pictures show deleted scenes where Thomas found the tarpaulins when he and Molly were at Kirk Ronan Junction after Gordon made fun of Molly.
- This is the only episode where Molly appears as a main character to date.
- During the scene at the flour mill, a piece of something can be seen hanging from under Molly's bufferbeam on her lefthand side.
- Before Molly runs away, Gordon's front bogie wheels are derailed.
- When Molly and Thomas arrive at the coaling plant, mechanism can be seen on the undercarriage of the last truck Thomas is pushing.
- When Henry comes up to Molly, the latter's lamp is facing backwards.
- In the Japanese version, trucks is translated as "荷台", which means "loading space" in Japanese.
In Other Languages