The Narrow Gauge Breakdown Train is composed of one crane and conflat. It is often hauled by Rusty and used to mend the line and put engines back on the rails. The crane was also seen on the Mid Sodor Railway in the television series. Unlike the North Western Railway's breakdown train, the Narrow Gauge breakdown train does not have a works unit coach for the workmen. However, it is occasionally equipped with a brake van.
A secondary type of Breakdown Train mounted on an open-wagon truck and accompanied with a brown brake van.
The primary Narrow Gauge Breakdown Train is based on a French Magnard six ton crane.
- Series 4 - Peter Sam and the Refreshment Lady and Special Funnel
- Series 5 - Snow
- Series 6 - Dunkin Duncan
- Series 7 - The Old Bridge, The Refreshment Lady's Tea Shop, Something Fishy, Bulgy Rides Again, Harold and the Flying Horse and Gordon and Spencer
- Series 11 - Sir Handel in Charge
- The large-scale model of the Breakdown Crane was briefly reused as a stationary crane used for set dressing at the Works and Knapford Sheds in the seventh series episodes, Something Fishy, Gordon and Spencer and Bulgy Rides Again.
- The small-scale model of the Breakdown Crane, which was used in the fourth and fifth series, is owned by Twitter user ThomasTankMerch.