- “I'm reliable too!"
"Apparently not reliable enough!”
- ―Thomas and Elizabeth
Not So Hasty Puddings, retitled Not So Hasty Cakes or Thomas and the Avalanche in American releases, is the twenty-fourth episode of the seventh series.
It is Christmas time on the Island and snow is lying heavy on the ground. When Elizabeth delivers Thomas' snowplough, he refuses to wear it and Elizabeth states that he cannot be reliable without it. Thomas grumbles about how rude Elizabeth was and that his snowplough makes his buffers ache.
When Thomas arrives at Maithwaite, he sees Sir Topham Hatt talking to Elizabeth that the Sodor Pudding Factory is snowed in and that the puddings must get to the Docks before the ship leaves for the Mainland. Thomas volunteers to do it, but Sir Topham Hatt needs Thomas to work on his branch line, and gives the job to Elizabeth because she is very reliable. Thomas states that he is reliable too, but Elizabeth says that he is not reliable enough, making Thomas cross as Elizabeth leaves.
Thomas arrives at every station on time while Elizabeth is having a hard time driving on the slippery road. Thomas arrives at the Docks to pick up Terence and sees that Elizabeth has not returned. Sir Topham Hatt orders Thomas to find her. Elizabeth is filled with Christmas puddings and is on her way to the docks, but the slippery roads and the weight of the cargo get her stuck in a snowdrift. Thomas and Terence are stopped by her driver and Terence pulls her out. Thomas helps Elizabeth deliver the puddings just in time and Elizabeth understands that Thomas is a reliable engine.
- Sir Topham Hatt
- The Dockyard Manager
- Terence (does not speak)
- James (cameo)
- Percy (cameo)
- Salty (cameo)
- Duncan (cameo)
- Annie and Clarabel (cameo)
- Big Mickey (cameo)
- Mrs. Kyndley (cameo)
- Nancy (cameo)
- Farmer Finney (cameo)
- The Special Visitor (cameo)
- Henry (stock footage cameo)
- Toby (stock footage cameo)
- Duck (stock footage cameo)
- Brendam Docks
- Sodor Pudding Factory
- Rheneas Viaduct
- Suddery Castle
- The Works
- Misty Valley
- The Viaduct (stock footage)
- Callan Castle (stock footage)
- The Mainland (mentioned)
- Going by production order, this is the twenty-sixth episode of the seventh series and the series finale.
- Edited stock footage from The Flying Kipper, It's Only Snow and Snow Engine is used.
- This was the last episode for several things:
- The final appearance of Terence until The Great Discovery, as well as his last appearance in an episode until the twenty-first series episode, Terence Breaks the Ice.
- The final time that Henry is seen in his old shape, which was done via stock footage.
- The last episode written by Robyn Charteris until the thirteenth series episode, Percy's Parcel.
- The last episode to mention the word "Christmas" in the US until the seventeenth series episode, Santa's Little Engine.
- The last episode to end with a nameboard sequence of its featured characters in Japan.
- The last appearance of Suddery Castle to date.
- This episode did not come out on home video in the UK and the US until 2008 when it was released on DVD in the UK as part of The Complete Series 7, and in the US on the Mud Glorious Mud DVD making this the only episode of the seventh series not released in the US and the UK on VHS.
- This is the first episode that can only be found on a Complete Series DVD for both UK and Australian regions.
- This is also the only episode of two things:
- The first and only appearance of Hackenbeck in the television series.
- Elizabeth's only appearance in the seventh series.
- The third shot of the episode features unused footage from the sixth series.
- The Sodor Puddings sign is now preserved by The Coffey Man Preservation from the Prop Gallery.
- In the Mud Glorious Mud DVD and the Romanian dub, the episode is titled Thomas and the Avalanche, which is misleading as there is no avalanche in the episode.
- In the close-up of Elizabeth's wheels, the platform used to make her slide is visible.
- Because stock footage is used, Henry is in his pre-Flying Kipper shape from the first series, and Thomas is briefly seen with his other snowplough from It's Only Snow with Toby behind him.
- Although this episode is called "Not So Hasty Cakes" in the American narration, the factory sign still says "Puddings."
- In a picture, Elizabeth's eyes are wonky and black and red wires are seen in her cab.
- When Thomas and Terence are flagged down by Elizabeth's driver, Terence's eyes are wonky.
- The narrator says that Elizabeth's driver "applied the brakes" (plural), despite her being a lorry.
In Other Languages
|Hungarian||A Karácsonyi Puding|
|Italian||I Dolciumi Natalizi|
|Romanian||Thomas şi Avalanşa|
|Russian||Тяжелый путь пудингов|
|Slovak||Nevez Rýchlo Pudingi|