In the television series, the old coaches were used on local passenger trains due to their age. They only appeared in the first series and were first seen in Edward and Gordon. The coaches were often seen being pulled by Edward. It is unknown what happened to these coaches after the first series, as they were replaced with the red express coaches, but it is likely that they could have been scrapped.
The old coaches are painted emerald green with cream window surrounds. Since other side were unpainted, in the first series episodes "Thomas and Gordon" and "Edward and Gordon", three coaches in the Railway Works show the teak livery.
In a postcard, two coaches are painted brown with tan window surrounds.
- The Pilot - Down the Mine (cameos)
- Series 1 - Thomas and Gordon (teak coach cameo), Edward and Gordon (including teak coaches cameos), Thomas and the Trucks (deleted scene), James and the Express, Thomas and the Guard, Tenders and Turntables, Trouble in the Shed, Coal, Dirty Objects and Down the Mine (stock footage cameos)
- The first series episode Edward and Gordon mentions these coaches as being sentient, despite not having visible faces or proper speaking roles.
- The old coaches bear a slight resemblance to Emily's Coaches.
- In the magazine story, Clarabel's New Friend, a sentient coach painted green with cream windows resembling the Old Coaches appears nicknamed The New Coach.
- Their ERTL toys are both brake coaches and are recycled from Annie and Clarabel's.