Old Slow Coach, sometimes simply known as Coach, is a Great Western Railway clerestory brake coach.
Thomas & Friends
Before coming to the Island of Sodor, Old Slow Coach was originally part of The Cornishman, taking passengers to Falmouth to catch the Transatlantic Liners. Impressed by her grand and luxurious interior, Sir Topham Hatt brought her to Sodor.
Old Slow Coach was a luxurious coach when she was first brought to Sodor, but was eventually replaced by modern rolling stock. She was sent to the scrapyards and was long due for the scrapheap when Thomas and Percy met her. The two tank engines vowed to find a way to save her and their chance came sooner than expected when the workmen's hut was destroyed by a fire. Percy suggested that Old Slow Coach could house the workmen while a new hut was being made. Old Slow Coach was restored and taken to the beach to be used as the hut for the workmen.
After the workmen's hut was rebuilt, Old Slow Coach was brought back onto the rails to be used as a coach again. When Percy was looking for something "old" for Mrs. Kyndley's daughter's good luck package at her wedding, she became the "old" item.
After being stuck in the scrapyard, Old Slow Coach was delighted to have a second chance in life and she never took it for granted. She is a happy railway coach. She has a polite spirit to all the engines especially Thomas and Percy. Whether she is a hut for the workmen or a coach for passengers, Old Slow Coach is just delighted to be really useful indeed.
Old Slow Coach is based on a Diagram E39 Falmouth Coupe TRI brake coach, built in 1893 for the Great Western Railway.
Old Slow Coach is painted in the Great Western Railway's chocolate and cream coach livery.
- Series 5 - Every Cloud has a Silver Lining
- Old Slow Coach was the first non-Awdry rolling stock character to be introduced in the television series.
- Old Slow Coach is the first coach with moving eyes and a moulded face like the engines, the second being Henrietta, starting from the eighteenth series.
- Old Slow Coach is the last sentient coach created in the television series until the Slip Coaches in the eighteenth series.
- In the Dutch dub, Old Slow Coach is referred to as 'Oldie the Coach'.
- In the Spanish, Czech, Polish and German dubs, Old Slow Coach is portrayed as a male.
- Old Slow Coach was the last rolling stock character introduced in the Classic Series and the last one introduced until Rocky in the tenth series.
- Old Slow Coach had a total of four face masks, two of which were never shown on-screen.
- Old Slow Coach's television series model is currently on display at Drayton Manor Theme Park.
- A similar looking coach appears in the 2003 magazine story, Fast Food.
- Old Slow Coach is the first coach that was converted into a building, the second being Dexter, Old Slow Coach being a workmen's hut, Dexter being a school.
- ERTL (discontinued)
- Wooden Railway (discontinued)
- Thomas Engine Collection Series (discontinued)
- Hornby (discontinued)
- Motor Road and Rail (Asia only; discontinued)
- Trading Cards (discontinued)
- Nakayoshi (discontinued)
- Boss (discontinued)