Old Slow Coach, sometimes simply known as Coach, is a Great Western Railway clerestory brake coach.
Thomas & Friends
Old Slow Coach was a luxurious coach when she was first brought to the Island of Sodor but was eventually replaced by modern rolling stock. She was sent to the scrapyards and was long due for the scrapheap when Thomas and Percy met her. The two tank engines vowed to find a way to save her, and their chance came sooner than expected when the workmen's hut was destroyed by a fire. Percy suggested that Old Slow Coach could house the workmen while a new hut was being made. Old Slow Coach was restored and taken to the beach to be used as the hut for the workmen.
After the workmen's hut was rebuilt, Old Slow Coach was brought back on the rails to be used as a coach again. When Percy was looking for something "old" for Mrs. Kyndley's daughter's good luck package at her wedding, she became the "old" item.
Old Slow Coach is based on a Diagram E39 Falmouth Coupe TRI brake coach, built-in 1893 for the Great Western Railway.
Old Slow Coach is painted in the Great Western Railway's chocolate and cream coach livery.
- Series 5 - Every Cloud has a Silver Lining
- Old Slow Coach was the first non-Awdry rolling stock character to be introduced in the television series.
- Old Slow Coach is the first coach with moving eyes and a moulded face like the engines, the second being Henrietta, starting from the eighteenth series.
- Old Slow Coach was also the last sentient coach to be created in the television series until the Slip Coaches in the eighteenth series.
- In the Dutch dub, Old Slow Coach is referred to as 'Oldie the Coach'.
- In the Spanish, Czech and Polish dubs, Old Slow Coach is portrayed as a male.
- Old Slow Coach was the last rolling stock character introduced in the Classic Series and the last one introduced until Rocky in the tenth series.
- Old Slow Coach had a total of four face masks, two of which were never shown on-screen.
- Old Slow Coach's television series model is currently on display at Drayton Manor Theme Park.