- “Hmm! Getting lost can be interesting, but being found is much nicer. Especially if it makes an engine feel Really Useful!”
Oliver and his brake van Toad are enjoying their work in the big yard. One day, Toad notices Oliver feeling sad, because he is starting to miss the longer runs. Toad suggests talking to Sir Topham Hatt, but Oliver decides to keep quiet. As time goes on, Oliver stays unhappy and gets rough with the trucks. His mood and the trucks' behaviour lead to an accident in the turntable when he pushes them into the well. Sir Topham Hatt transfers Oliver to the nightly mail train route so that he can have his smokebox cleared.
The new job cheers Oliver up as he makes good time on the mail route along the Coastal Run, until he stops to collect mail from Harold. Harold is late due to mechanical problems, which annoys Oliver. While trying to make up speed, he sees a red signal. He does not realise that the signalman has dozed off waiting for them and forgotten to change the points. After whistling several times, Oliver and his crew decide to proceed with caution and find out what the problem is at the signal box. Unknowingly, they are switched down an old, dilapidated branch line. The fireman points out that they are running low on water and, after passing an old station, they crash into a shed.
A concerned Sir Topham Hatt sends out a search party the next morning. They find Oliver and his crew safe and sound. Sir Topham Hatt knows the accident was not Oliver's fault. While chatting, Sir Topham Hatt notices an abandoned house nearby. He goes to inspect it and, when he returns to Oliver, he thanks him for finding the new house. He announces his plans for making it a tea house, where visitors can have refreshments.
- Troublesome Trucks
- Sir Topham Hatt
- Henry (cameo)
- James (cameo)
- Mavis (cameo)
- Harold's Pilots (cameo)
- Bulstrode (faceless; cameo)
- Duke (portrait; cameo)
- Percy (mentioned)
- Pre-filmed footage from Sir Topham Hatt's Holiday, stock footage from Put Upon Percy, and edited stock footage from Bye George! is used. Footage from the former is not cut properly, as the truck with S.C. Ruffey's face can be seen in the mine.
- When Oliver first passes the boats and barges with the post train, to the far left, Bulstrode's model without his face or eye mechanism can be seen.
- The picture of Duke from Bulldog is in the signal box.
- The yard Oliver is in at the beginning of the episode is the Tidmouth Sheds set extensively redressed.
- The old station building is the same one seen in Toby's Discovery.
- An image implies that Henry and James were intended to have larger roles.
- This is the second episode to use the phrase, "confusion and delay" after Cranky Bugs. It is also the first episode where a character says it instead of the narrator.
- The shed Oliver crashes into is really Toby's Shed.
- The sense that the camera is zooming towards the shed has the slow motion that is the same as in Bye George! before Thomas derailed and crashed through the barn.
- The LT building, the three berth garage and some Shrimper boat models from TUGS appear during this episode.
- This episode is titled Oliver's Great Adventure on The Roku Channel.
- When Oliver bumps the trucks, they are facing him, but when they crash into the turntable, they are facing the other way. Additionally, Oliver is missing his rear brake-pipe.
- When Oliver goes along the coastal track, his last van bounces.
- In a deleted scene, Henry's tender does not have coal in it.
- As Oliver is waiting for Harold, Henry passes with some vans, then as Oliver is talking to Harold, James passes through with exactly the same line of vans Henry was pulling.
- The track arrangements at Oliver's shed changes between the day and night sequences.
- In one of the final shots, Harold's propellers are severely bent.
- Due to the use of stock footage, neither Oliver nor the mail vans is seen as the debris falls
- Toad: Excuse me, Mr. Oliver. It seems to me that things are not well for you, if you forgive me for mentioning it.
- Oliver: You're quite right, Toad. All I do is shunt these trucks onto the turntable. I long for a nice run. It's what an engine really needs.
- Toad: Quite so, Mr. Oliver. May I suggest you speak to the Fat Controller about your problems?
- [Oliver gets rough with the trucks]
- Trucks: You're no good, Oliver. You're dangerous!/You're in danger! We want Percy.
- Oliver: Percy's far too busy to be bothered with the likes of you!
In Other Languages
Home Media Releases
UK DVD Boxsets
AUS DVD Packs