- “You know, there's more than one way to get jammed. We all learned that today. What's more, we also learned that sometimes when engines get each other out of a jam, things can still go wrong."
"So, that means we learned a lot today. And therefore..."
"We're Really Useful Engines after all!”
- ―Thomas cheering up the other engines.
One day, James is waiting at the junction when Percy arrives with some troublesome trucks. James tells Percy that engines should always be on time as he puffs away. Feeling resentful, Percy ignores him. It is market day when James arrives at the harbour to see all the wonderful fresh exotic fruits from far away lands. James' trucks are filled and he sets off along the mainline. On the way, he meets Thomas, Annie and Clarabel and cannot resist boasting. Thomas knows that there will be trouble ahead for boastful James.
Back at the yard, Percy is busy shunting when the stationmaster tells his driver that James' brakes are jammed and that Percy has to go and help him at once. Percy quickly sets off and soon finds James stranded on the mainline. Percy cannot resist laughing and teasing James. Percy's driver soon intervenes and asks Percy if he can push the trucks of fruit. Soon, Percy is coupled to the trucks and sets off. Percy is in a hurry and is not paying full attention to the line. He has not seen that the points have failed and that he has been diverted into a siding. Percy's driver sees the danger and applies the brakes, but it is too late. The trucks run straight into the buffers and Percy crashes into the back of the van in front of him. His driver and fireman had jumped clear, but Percy gets covered in squashed fruit. The Fat Controller sternly reminds Percy that while the points failure is not his fault, his railway is not a jam factory.
That night in the sheds, all the engines are silent, with Percy and James feeling very sorry for themselves as they are now both in disgrace. Thomas breaks the silence by reminding everyone that there is more than one way to get into a jam and that even when engines help each other out, things can still go wrong. One of the engines asks what the point is and Thomas points out that it means they learned a lot today and therefore they are all Really Useful Engines after all, to which all the engines happily agree.
- Annie and Clarabel
- Sir Topham Hatt
- Troublesome Trucks (do not speak)
- Jeremiah Jobling (cameo)
- Farmer Trotter (cameo)
- Big Mickey (faceless; cameo)
- Brendam Docks
- Tidmouth Sheds
- Lower Suddery
- Three Tier Bridge
- Tidmouth Tunnel
- The Three Way Road
- Logging Halt
- The truck in front of Percy has "NE" written on it.
- Stock footage from the third series episode, Thomas, Percy and the Post Train is used, as is a deleted scene from the third series episode, Heroes.
- Izzy Gomez, Big Mickey, a station and a warehouse from TUGS appear.
- This episode marks Annie and Clarabel's only speaking roles in the third series.
- This episode marks the first time a character angrily says "Be quiet!" instead of "Shut up!" since the production teams and script writers were likely accused of using a vulgar/offensive phrase after production for the second series ended.
- This episode was reran back to back with the second series episode, Percy and Harold on Storytime with Thomas.
- Dishwasher soap was used for the projectile green liquid squirted on Percy.
- When James is watching his trucks being loaded, there are four open-topped trucks, but when he leaves the harbour, one of them has been replaced with a goods van.
- When James leaves the harbour, the first truck is missing a face.
- As Percy sets off with James' trucks, James' pony truck is derailed and Percy jerks back before starting. Percy's cab roof was also lifted.
- There are eleven berths in Tidmouth Sheds instead of the usual six.
- At the end of the episode, black glue is wrapped around James' funnel.
- When James passes Thomas and the coaches, Annie is missing her name.
- Because stock footage is used, one close-up of Percy's driver is at night.
- James: Really reliable. That's me! Pity the same can't be said for Percy! Good-bye! [puffs away]
- Annie and Clarabel: What was all that about?
- Thomas: That was trouble. Trouble for James. Just wait and see.
- Percy: Got yourself into a bit of a jam, eh James? What you might call a 'sticky situation'?
- James: Be quiet! It's not funny having jammed brakes!
- Thomas: You know, there's more than one way to get jammed. We all learned that today. What's more, we also learned that sometimes, when engines help each other out of a jam, things can still go wrong.
- Voice: So?
- Thomas: So, that means we learned a lot today. And therefore...
- All engines: We're really useful engines after all!
In Other Languages