- “It's good to see you again, big cousin!”
- ―Bertie referring to Bulgy
Playbus is a magazine story. It was republished in 2014 under the title Play Bus.
Bridget and Stephen are playing in the yard near the Fat Controller's office whilst their mother and Lady Hatt are shopping. Later, in an overgrown field, they spot Bulgy the double-decker bus. The Fat Controller forgives Bulgy, and Bertie tows him to be repaired. They decide to turn Bulgy into a playbus to entertain the children during the summer holiday and he has never looked miserable again.
- Sir Topham Hatt
- Bridget Hatt (does not speak)
- Stephen Hatt (does not speak)
- Lady Hatt (mentioned)
- It is mentioned that Bertie and Bulgy are cousins.
- On the contents page of the magazine this story is called The Playbus!