Red Branch Line Coaches
LB&SCR Stroudley coaches
( ) T&F
Red Branch Line Coaches in the television series are used on branch line passenger trains.
They are usually pulled by
Duck and Oliver on their branch line, by Edward on his branch line, occasionally by Percy on the Ffarquhar Branch Line and occasionally by Ryan on the Harwick Branch Line, but are also used by Henry and James on the Main Line. They were also pulled by Stepney on his branch line. Thomas also pulls these when Annie and Clarabel are being repaired, and when Percy had to take them during stormy weather. Toby once pulled them in Thomas and the Magic Railroad and Journey Beyond Sodor. Gordon never pulled these coaches until his Who's That Engine? the segment was released. Emily was once seen pulling these coaches in Tale of the Brave. They are also seen in China with yellow stripes on the sides and stand for bikes.
These coaches are non-sentient, and
Sir Topham Hatt describes them as "ordinary coaches".
Dexter is the only known sentient brake coach of this design in the television series.
Dexter the Brake Coach:
Dexter in his original livery
The red coaches are based on
LB&SCR 4-wheeled coaches built to a design by Stroudley between the early 1870s and late 80s. Several coaches of this type are preserved on the Bluebell Railway and the
Isle of Wight Steam Railway.
Orange Coaches share the same basis, however, they have different rooftop designs and styled-brake coaches.
Brake coaches' coaches' basis
television series, buckets on the brake coaches are beaded. This makes them similar to the Stroudley coaches that received modification work from 1911 onwards, as they were originally flush and fashioned from three sections of iron sheet.
The coaches also differ from their basis, the Stroudley coaches, with their oil lamp pots, as they have a round base instead of the square base ones that were used on the
London, Brighton and South Coast Railway (L&SCR).
Types of classes in the Model Era:
A variety of different types of classes have appeared in the
television series. Each of these can be identified by the number of windows and interiors.
1st/2nd class composite coach
3rd class composite coach
1st/2nd class brake coach
Types of classes in the CGI Era:
1st/2nd class composite coach
1st/2nd class brake coach
The coaches are commonly painted dark red. They originally had white rooftops, but these were repainted dark grey following
Series 8. The latter has also been seen in India and China.
Red Coaches with white roofs
Red Coaches with dark grey roofs
White, yellow, orange, dark green, dark blue and black composite coaches with dark grey rooftops appeared in a CGI series-based "
Lift and Load" game featured on The Official Website. Thomas has also been seen with dark green coaches in the Really Useful Around the World animated shorts.
A dark brown brake coach with cream lining and a white roof appeared in the episode
Toby Feels Left Out and learning segment What Goes Where. A plain dark brown brake coach also appeared in Hero of the Rails and Series 13.
A dark brown brake coach with cream lining
China, the red coaches have yellow lines on their sides with light grey rooftops. Another type of red coaches appears in Yong Bao and the Tiger. And another type of the red coaches appears in Thomas and the Dragon, and The Water Wheel in their regular appearance. In India, these coaches are yellow with white rooftops. They have green window surroundings with yellow patches and green lining on each side. Blue coaches with yellow have also been seen in India.
Chinese red coaches with yellow lines
Yellow and green Indian coaches
Blue and cream Indian coaches
Silver, green and blue Italian coaches
- Series 2 Cows, Percy and the Signal, Duck Takes Charge, A Close Shave, Better Late Than Never and Thomas and the Missing Christmas Tree
- Series 3 A Scarf for Percy (, deleted scene) Percy's Promise, Gordon and the Famous Visitor, Thomas, Percy and the Dragon, Diesel Does it Again, The Trouble with Mud, Thomas, Percy and the Post Train, Buzz, Buzz, Escape, Oliver Owns Up, Bulgy and Thomas and Percy's Christmas Adventure (
deleted scene) - Series 4 You Can't Win, Four Little Engines, Rock 'n' Roll, Gallant Old Engine, Rusty to the Rescue, Thomas and Stepney, Bowled Out, Toad Stands By, Thomas and the Special Letter, Paint Pots and Queens and Mind that Bike
- Series 5 James and the Trouble with Trees, Bye George!, Baa! and Sir Topham Hatt's Holiday
- Series 6 Elizabeth the Vintage Lorry, It's Only Snow, Twin Trouble, Percy and the Haunted Mine, James and the Red Balloon, Percy's Chocolate Crunch, Thomas, Percy and the Squeak, Thomas the Jet Engine and Edward the Very Useful Engine
- Series 7 Emily's New Coaches, Percy Gets it Right, Edward's Brass Band, Snow Engine, Something Fishy, Bulgy Rides Again, Harold and the Flying Horse, Best Dressed Engine and Not So Hasty Puddings
- Series 8 Thomas and the Tuba (, deleted scene) Thomas Saves the Day, Gordon Takes Charge, Thomas and the Circus, Thomas Gets it Right, James Goes Too Far, Too Hot for Thomas and Percy and the Magic Carpet
- Series 9 Thomas' Milkshake Muddle, Thomas and the Toy Shop, Thomas and the New Engine, Henry and the Flagpole and Thomas and the Golden Eagle
- Series 10 It's Good to be Gordon, Thomas and the Colours and James the Second Best
- Series 11 Dirty Work, Henry's Lucky Day, Thomas and the Lighthouse, Thomas in Trouble and Percy and the Left Luggage
- Series 12 Thomas and the Billboard, Gordon Takes a Shortcut, Thomas Puts the Brakes On and Percy and the Bandstand
- Series 13 Tickled Pink, Double Trouble, The Biggest Present of All, Henry's Good Deeds and Hiro Helps Out
- Series 14 Thomas' Tall Friend, James in the Dark, Pingy Pongy Pick Up, Charlie and Eddie, Toby and the Whistling Woods, Henry's Health and Safety, Pop Goes Thomas, Merry Winter Wish, Thomas and Scruff and O the Indignity
- Series 15 Toby and Bash, Edward the Hero, Let it Snow, Stuck on You and Kevin the Steamie
- Series 16 Ol' Wheezy Wobbles, Thomas and the Sounds of Sodor, Sodor Surprise Day, Emily's Winter Party Special, Muddy Matters and Welcome Stafford!
- Series 17 Henry's Hero, Percy's Lucky Day and Santa's Little Engine
- Series 18 Old Reliable Edward, Flatbeds of Fear, Disappearing Diesels, Signals Crossed, Toad's Adventure, Duck in the Water, Duck and the Slip Coaches, Thomas and the Emergency Cable, Duncan and the Grumpy Passenger, Spencer's VIP, Last Train for Christmas and The Perfect Gift
- Series 19 Lost Property, Henry Spots Trouble, Toad and the Whale, Very Important Sheep, Salty All at Sea, Slow Stephen, Two Wheels Good, Reds vs. Blues, The Little Engine Who Raced Ahead, Philip to the Rescue, Thomas the Babysitter and Goodbye Fat Controller
- Series 20 Toby's New Friend, Diesel and the Ducklings, Ryan and Daisy, Pouty James, Blown Away, Letters to Santa, Hugo and the Airship and Skiff and the Mermaid
- Series 21 Dowager Hatt's Busy Day, P.A. Problems, Philip's Number, The Fastest Red Engine on Sodor, A Shed for Edward, The Big Freeze and Terence Breaks the Ice
- Series 22 Trusty Trunky, What Rebecca Does, An Engine of Many Colours (, stock footage) School of Duck (, ) Dexter Tiger Trouble and Thomas and the Dragon
- Series 23 Free the Roads, Gordon Gets the Giggles, Steam Team to the Rescue, Panicky Percy and First Day on Sodor!
- Series 24 James the Super Engine and Thomas' Animal Friends
* | RWS only ** only | T&F --- Dropped
* | RWS only ** only T&F
Thomas | Percy | Toby
Daisy* | Mavis
Coffee Pots | Glynn**
Annie and Clarabel | Henrietta | Victoria* | Thomas' Special Coach* | The Quarryman's Coach*
Quarry Trucks | Elsie*
Terence | Bertie | Caroline | The Orange Caterpillar Crane* | Harold | Tiger Moth** | Bulstrode
Mrs. Kyndley | Farmer Finney | Kevin Volley* | Farmer McColl** | Farmer Trotter** | Ruth**
Toby's Branch Line**
Knapford ( | ) Harbour, Airfield Dryaw ( | ) Goods Station, Airfield, Goods Yard**, Football Club** Toryreck ( | ) Lead Mines, Engine Shed** Crowe's Farm | Elsbridge ( | , Dairy, Viaduct, Cricket Field ) Trek and Leisure Hackenbeck ( | ) Bridge, Tunnel, Cottage Finney's Farm | Ffarquhar ( | ) Engine Sheds, Mountain**, Loop** Ffarquhar River Bridge | The Quarry Tramroad | Anopha Quarry | The Windmill** | McColl Farm** | Sports Field Halt** | The Watermill** | Farmer Trotter's Pig Farm** | Maithwaite** ( | ) Quarry Mine, Forest, Showground The Narrow Gorge** | Arlesdale End** (
) Engine Sheds
* | RWS only ** only |
*** Other Media only T&F
Duck | Donald and Douglas | Oliver
Alice and Mirabel* | Isabel and Dulcie* | Branch Line Coaches** | Express Coaches** | Old Slow Coach** | Slip Coaches** | Toad | S.C. Ruffey | Fred Pelhay* | Quarry Trucks* | Judy and Jerome**
Bulgy | Bulgy's Friend | Algy*** | Skiff**
Tidmouth ( | ) Beach, Tunnel, Beach Village**, Harbour, Hault**, Hault Sheds**, Town Square**, Town Square Library** Dilly's Pond | Workmen's Hut** | Three Tier Bridge** | Haultraugh ( | ) Bulgy's Bridge, Bulgy's Field Bluff's Cove** | Arlesburgh (
) West, Engine Sheds*, Harbour**, Maritime Museum**, Trading Co.**