Red Branch Line Coaches
LB&SCR Stroudley coaches
( ) T&F
Red Branch Line Coaches in the television series are used on branch line passenger trains.
They are usually pulled by
Duck and Oliver on their branch line, by Edward on his branch line, occasionally by Percy on the Ffarquhar Branch Line and occasionally by Ryan on the Harwick Branch Line, but are also used by Henry and James on the Main Line. They were also pulled by Stepney on his branch line. Thomas also pulls these when Annie and Clarabel are being repaired, and when Percy had to take them during stormy weather. Toby once pulled them in Thomas and the Magic Railroad and Journey Beyond Sodor. Gordon never pulled these coaches until his Who's That Engine? segment was released. Emily was once seen pulling these coaches in Tale of the Brave. They are also seen in China with yellow stripes on the sides and stands for bikes.
These coaches are non-sentient, and
Sir Topham Hatt describes them as "ordinary coaches".
Dexter is the only known sentient brake coach of this design in the television series.
Dexter the Brake Coach:
Dexter in his original livery
The red coaches are based on
LB&SCR 4-wheeled coaches built to a design by Stroudley between the early 1870s and late 80s. Several coaches of this type are preserved on the Bluebell Railway and the
Isle of Wight Steam Railway.
Orange Coaches share the same basis, however they have different roof top designs and styled-brake coaches.
Brake coaches' coaches' basis
television series, duckets on the brake coaches are beaded. This makes them similar to the Stroudley coaches that received modification work from 1911 onwards, as they were originally flush and fashioned from three sections of iron sheet.
The coaches also differ from their basis, the Stroudley coaches, with their oil lamp pots, as they have a round base instead of the square base ones that were used on the
London, Brighton and South Coast Railway (L&SCR).
Types of classes in the Model Era:
A variety of different types of classes have appear in the
television series. Each of these can be identified by the amount of windows and interiors.
1st/2nd class composite coach
3rd class composite coach
1st/2nd class brake coach
Types of classes in the CGI Era:
1st/2nd class composite coach
1st/2nd class brake coach
The coaches are commonly painted dark red. They originally had white rooftops, but these were repainted dark grey following
Series 8. The latter have also been seen in India and China.
Red Coaches with white roofs
Red Coaches with dark grey roofs
White, yellow, orange, dark green, dark blue and black composite coaches with dark grey rooftops appeared in a CGI series-based "
Lift and Load" game featured on The Official Website. Thomas has also been seen with dark green coaches in the Really Useful Around the World animated shorts.
A dark brown brake coach with cream lining and a white roof appeared in the episode
Toby Feels Left Out and learning segement What Goes Where. A plain dark brown brake coach also appeared in Hero of the Rails and Series 13.
A dark brown brake coach with cream lining
China, the red coaches have yellow lines on their sides with light grey rooftops. Another type of red coaches appear in Yong Bao and the Tiger. And another type of the red coaches appear in Thomas and the Dragon, and The Water Wheel in their regular appearance. In India, these coaches are yellow with white rooftops. They have green window surroundings with yellow patches and green lining on each side. Blue coaches with yellow have also been seen in India.
Chinese red coaches with yellow lines
Yellow and green Indian coaches
Blue and cream Indian coaches
- Series 2 Cows, Percy and the Signal, Duck Takes Charge, A Close Shave, Better Late Than Never and Thomas and the Missing Christmas Tree
- Series 3 Percy's Promise, Thomas, Percy and the Dragon, Diesel Does it Again, Thomas, Percy and the Post Train, Buzz, Buzz, Escape, Oliver Owns Up and Bulgy
- Series 4 You Can't Win, Four Little Engines, Rock 'n' Roll, Rusty to the Rescue, Thomas and Stepney, Bowled Out, Thomas and the Special Letter, Paint Pots and Queens and Mind that Bike
- Series 5 James and the Trouble with Trees, Bye George!, Baa! and Sir Topham Hatt's Holiday
- Series 6 Elizabeth the Vintage Lorry, Percy and the Haunted Mine, James and the Red Balloon, Percy's Chocolate Crunch, Thomas, Percy and the Squeak, Thomas the Jet Engine and Edward the Very Useful Engine
- Series 7 Emily's New Coaches, Percy Gets it Right, Edward's Brass Band, Snow Engine, Something Fishy, Bulgy Rides Again, Harold and the Flying Horse, Best Dressed Engine and Not So Hasty Puddings
- Series 8 Thomas Saves the Day, Gordon Takes Charge, Thomas and the Circus, Thomas Gets it Right, James Goes Too Far, Too Hot for Thomas and Percy and the Magic Carpet
- Series 9 Thomas' Milkshake Muddle, Thomas and the Toy Shop, Thomas and the New Engine, Henry and the Flagpole and Thomas and the Golden Eagle
- Series 10 Thomas and the Colours and James the Second Best
- Series 11 Henry's Lucky Day, Thomas and the Lighthouse, Thomas in Trouble and Percy and the Left Luggage
- Series 12 Thomas and the Billboard, Gordon Takes a Shortcut, Thomas Puts the Brakes On and Percy and the Bandstand
- Series 13 Tickled Pink, Double Trouble, The Biggest Present of All, Henry's Good Deeds and Hiro Helps Out
- Series 14 James in the Dark, Pingy Pongy Pick Up, Henry's Health and Safety, Pop Goes Thomas and Merry Winter Wish
- Series 15 Edward the Hero and Stuck on You
- Series 16 Ol' Wheezy Wobbles, Sodor Surprise Day and Emily's Winter Party Special
- Series 17 Percy's Lucky Day and Santa's Little Engine
- Series 18 Old Reliable Edward, Flatbeds of Fear, Disappearing Diesels, Signals Crossed, Toad's Adventure, Duck in the Water, Duck and the Slip Coaches, Thomas and the Emergency Cable, Spencer's VIP and The Perfect Gift
- Series 19 Lost Property, Henry Spots Trouble, Toad and the Whale, Very Important Sheep, Salty All at Sea, Slow Stephen, Reds vs. Blues, The Little Engine Who Raced Ahead, Philip to the Rescue, Thomas the Babysitter and Goodbye Fat Controller
- Series 20 Toby's New Friend, Diesel and the Ducklings, Ryan and Daisy, Pouty James, Skiff and the Mermaid, Letters to Santa and Hugo and the Airship
- Series 21 Dowager Hatt's Busy Day, P.A. Problems, Philip's Number, The Fastest Red Engine on Sodor, A Shed for Edward and The Big Freeze
- Series 22 Trusty Trunky and What Rebecca Does
- Series 23 Free the Roads and Gordon Gets the Giggles
* | RWS only ** only | T&F --- Dropped
* | RWS only ** only |
*** Other Media only T&F
Duck | Donald and Douglas | Oliver
Alice and Mirabel* | Isabel and Dulcie* | Branch Line Coaches** | Express Coaches** | Slip Coaches** | Toad | S.C. Ruffey | Fred Pelhay* | Quarry Trucks* | Judy and Jerome**
Bulgy | Bulgy's Friend | Algy*** | Skiff**
Tidmouth ( | ) Beach, Beach Village**, Harbour, Hault**, Hault Sheds**, Tunnel**, Yard**, Town Square**, Town Square Library** Dilly's Pond | Workmen's Hut** | Three Tier Bridge** | Haultraugh ( | ) Bulgy's Bridge, Bulgy's Field Bluff's Cove** | Arlesburgh (
) Engine Sheds*, Harbour**, Maritime Museum**, Trading Co.**, West