Reed International purchases Octopus Publishing, The Railway Series publisher William Heinemann's owner, in 1987 for £540 million. However, they retained the "William Heinemann" imprint to publish some titles, including the Railway Series, and copyrights displayed on Thomas the Tank Engine & Friends merchandise and books worldwide.
- The company displayed English books and translated books such as Japanese and Norwegian on the bookshelves.
- A meeting about merchandise at the company was broadcast on The Thomas the Tank Engine Man documentary, where Ingrid Selberg, managing director of the company, and Liz Turner were interviewed.
- Many merchandise and books displayed the copyright of "William Heinemann" until 1998, but some books displayed that "William Heinemann Ltd. an imprint of Reed Children's Books".
- Timeline on Reed Elsevier
- Egmont Buys Reed Children's Books on Publishers Weekly
- A Very Important Announcement by the Stationmaster on Reed Children's Books
- Frequently Asked Questions on Awdry Family Website