- “'Those be dark clouds, matey'."
"'There be a fierce storm on the way, captain!'"
"It's not nice to copy the way others speak! You hurt Salty's feelings."
"We were just having fun."
"We'll say sorry to him.”
- ―Thomas, Percy, and Emily
Salty's Stormy Tale is the thirteenth episode of the seventh series.
It is a sunny day at the docks, Salty warns Thomas and Percy that a storm is coming. But the two tank engines begin to mimic his voice which hurt Salty's feelings without knowing it but is glad to be sent to collect Fergus from the smelters. Emily rolls up wondering what was wrong and he tells Emily that no one likes to be made fun of by silly tank engines and leaves for the smelters. Emily knows Salty was talking about Thomas and Percy and goes off to find them.
Dark clouds fill the sky when Emily finds Thomas and Percy who start to mimic Salty's voice again. Emily gets cross and scolds the two engines for their behaviour, who agree to go apologise to Salty, but he is nowhere to be found and the two become worried. Meanwhile, Salty arrives at the smelters yard and picks up Fergus and the two set off to work.
On the way home, the storm arrives and a fuse blows in the lighthouse, confusing a ship's captain at sea. However, Salty and Fergus see the lighthouse keeper who informs them that the lighthouse's light has gone out and that the generator has broken down. Salty suggests using Fergus' flywheel to power the generator. Fergus is attached to the generator and the light is back on just as the ship is about to be in danger and they back up.
When Salty and Fergus arrive at the docks the next day, they are delighted to be lauded by, amongst others, the ship captain and the Fat Controller. Thomas and Percy then show up and apologise for teasing him, but the reason they were copying him was because they think Salty is grand, for which Salty is flattered.
- Sir Topham Hatt
- The Lighthouse Keeper
- The Captain
- Douglas (cameo)
- Cranky (cameo)
- Farmer Trotter (cameo)
- Cyril the Fogman (cameo)
- Mr. Walsh (cameo)
- Big Mickey (faceless, cameo)
- Brendam Docks
- Sodor Ironworks
- Tidmouth Beach
- Going by production order, this is the fourteenth episode of the seventh series.
- Since Fergus' driver does not know the line, this episode takes place prior to Bill, Ben and Fergus, which this episode is directly prior to in production order.
- This is the last episode of a few things:
- When Salty backs into the siding, the footage is sped up.
- Michael Brandon's narration on the Thomas and the Jet Engine VHS/DVD uses the original music instead of the new music.
- Prior to being released on Amazon for digital download in 2016, Michael Brandon's narration of the episode with new music had only been broadcast on television, and the narration itself was never released on DVD.
- There is a crew member's shirt and hand visible from behind the ship in the widescreen version during the storm.
- When the narrator says "Salty knew they [Thomas and Percy] were making fun of him", a cattle truck behind Salty appears to be on the ground rather than the rails.
- The narrator says "Salty and Fergus chugged back to the docks", but Salty is a diesel engine. Also, when they return to the docks, Cranky is missing.
- When Salty is making his way through the storm, a black box is attached to his left side. This is most likely the power source to his headlamp.
- Salty: It may be sunny now, matey. But there be a storm comin'.
- Thomas: [mocks him] It may be sunny now, matey. But there be a storm comin'.
- Percy: There be a fierce storm on the way, cap'n!
- Thomas: Those be dark clouds, matey.
- Percy: There be a fierce storm on the way, captain!
- Emily: It's not nice to copy the way others speak! You hurt Salty's feelings.
- Percy: We were just having fun.
- Thomas: We'll say sorry to him.
- Thomas: Sorry if we hurt your feelings.
- Percy: We were only copying you because we think you're grand.
- Salty: Then say no more, me hearties!
In Other Languages