A Salvage Boat is special type of boat that are used for marine rescue and recovery operations. Many different types of these boats live on Sodor.
The Salvage Barges
The cranes could only arrive after high tide, but by the time they rescued Percy it was already dark. Working hard, the cranes pulled a cold, weak and filthy Percy from the sea.
The Yellow Salvage Vessels
These vessels are painted yellow and grey, they are most commonly used when there is an accident near the harbours.
In the third series, the salvage vessel used in the previous series was replaced with a smaller yellow salvage vessel. This was used to recover the China Clay Trucks after Diesel carelessly pushed the trucks to into the sea. In the fourth series, the salvage vessel was then used to help recover Bulstrode and the Troublesome Trucks when Percy accidentally pushed trucks off the quay and into his hull. The vessel later towed Bulstrode to Tidmouth Beach. In the fifth series, the vessel was involved in the recovery process when Henry pulling The Flying Kipper crashed into the bay near the Lighthouse.
- On the Series 3 to 5 salvage boat model, the yellow crane section attached to it is actually one of recycled Miniature Cranes used in TUGS.
- The salvage boat from Series 2 has the name "DAVID" in white lettering on the front of the hull, after director David Mitton. It also reads "SALVAGE" on the lower hull sectiom.
The Green Salvage Vessel
This vessel once resided at Knapford Harbour. It has a green hull and wheelhouse, cream superstructure, grey frames, red crane arm and a blue and black smokestack.
The Salvage Tugboats
There were at least two salvage tugboats which were equipped with cranes mounted on their hulls.
In the fifth series, one of these tugboats salvaged Lorry 1 after he reversed into the sea, it then transported the wrecked lorry to Brendam Docks. Later on, the tugs were involved in the recovery process when Henry crashed into the bay. One of the boats towed Henry to the docks via a barge.
- Series 5 - Cranky Bugs, Horrid Lorry, Baa! and Something in the Air
- Series 6 - Harvey to the Rescue and The World's Strongest Engine
- Series 7 - James and the Queen of Sodor and Peace and Quiet
- 2000' - Thomas and the Magic Railroad (one only)
- The salvage tugboats are painted in the same colour scheme as the Z-Stacks' fleet of tugs from Thomas the Tank Engine and Friends' sister series, TUGS.