|This article is about 'the episode'. You may be looking for 'the DVD'.|
- “My! What splendid coaches. So much more suitable than those old beach huts on wheels!”
- ―Lady Hatt on Annie and Clarabel
Sir Topham Hatt's Holiday is the twentieth episode of the fifth series.
The Hatts are going on holiday, but when they exit Annie and Clarabel at Tidmouth Hault, Lady Hatt, disgruntled, feels hot and tired and complains about the two coaches, and wants them written off to become beach huts. Thomas is insulted and his driver assures him that the coaches will never be retired, rather to be improved. The next day, Percy takes the family to Dryaw Airfield, for them to board Harold but their flight is delayed by a low-flying biplane, Tiger Moth, but they get to their retreat and stay for several days, before Harold comes with bad news: Tiger Moth has gone missing. Sir Topham Hatt joins the search and in the end they find Tiger Moth lodged nose-down in a haystack. Sir Topham Hatt scolds the pilot, seeing to have him and his plane grounded and continues his holiday, boating on a canal. However, they become bogged down in mud and Percy has to help them back to Tidmouth Hault.
At the station, Thomas, Annie and Clarabel, with new aesthetic improvements, are waiting for them. Lady Hatt comments that the coaches appear more suitable than their previous appearance, while no one says a word about it. That evening, Thomas agrees with his coaches that no matter what they look like, they will always be really useful.
- Annie and Clarabel
- Sir Topham Hatt
- Lady Hatt
- Harold's Pilots
- Tiger Moth's Pilot
- Stephen Hatt (not named)
- Bridget Hatt (not named)
- Percy (does not speak)
- Toby (does not speak)
- Henrietta (does not speak)
- Tiger Moth (does not speak)
- Duck (cameo)
- Jem Cole (cameo)
- Nancy (cameo)
- The Portly Man (cameo)
- Harry Topper (not named; mentioned)
- Norramby Fishing Village
- Norramby Church Station
- Sir Topham Hatt's Holiday House
- The Dam
- The Hay Farm
- Tidmouth Hault
- Tidmouth Sheds
- The Country Line Canal
- Skarloey (stock footage)
- The Old Station (deleted scene)
- It aired back to back with Lady Hatt's Birthday Party on Storytime with Thomas in the US.
- Stock footage from Trucks! and Thomas and the Rumours is used.
- One scene of Harold is mirrored.
- Deleted shots of Percy at Callan indicate that he may have initially had a speaking role.
- In the US narration, Annie and Clarabel gain southern accents.
- Lady Hatt's small-scale model has longer hair than her large-scale model.
- When Toby stops next to the Sodor Maid, his steam disappears, indicating a film cut.
- [Tiger Moth flies dangerously past Harold and the Hatts]
- Sir Topham Hatt/The Fat Controller: (taking cover) W-w-what was that?!!
- Harold: That's Tiger Moth. It's rude and flies much too low.
- The Fat Controller: So I can see! Please take us up, Harold, before there's another disturbance.
- Sir Topham Hatt/The Fat Controller: (as the boat gets stuck in mudbank) Oh, botheration! We're stuck!
- Narrator: And they were. Other boats try to pull them off the mud bank but it was no use.
- [Percy finds the Hatts' boat stuck in the mud bank]
- Percy's Driver: Is there anything we can do to help?
- Sir Topham Hatt/The Fat Controller: Yes, indeed, there is.
- [cut to the family's boat now on Percy's flatbed]
- Sir Topham Hatt/The Fat Controller: This is the life, isn't it, my dear?!
In Other Languages
Home Media Releases