|This article is about 'narrow gauge trucks'. You may be looking for 'the standard gauge trucks'.|
Slate Trucks are the Skarloey Railway's most common type of truck, and can be seen as the narrow gauge counterparts to the Troublesome Trucks. Besides transporting slate, they have been known to transport broken branches, hay bales, cows, and sheep. They dislike Sir Handel because he often bumps them. On the other hand, Peter Sam never bumps the trucks unless they misbehave.
The Railway Series
Once, the slate trucks mistook Peter Sam for Sir Handel, and decided to play a trick on him. At the slate mine, they snapped the chain attached to the winch on the incline and ran into him, cracking his funnel and denting his boiler.
Thomas & Friends
In the fifth series, some empty slate trucks jammed the winch on the incline and ran down the slope into the ravine, causing an avalanche which buried Skarloey. Another time, they broke away from Peter Sam, and plummeted into the ravine at the old iron bridge.
In the sixth series, Rusty warned Duncan to be careful with the trucks after bumping them. Unfortunately for Duncan, he got his comeuppance when he jammed the incline winch and crashed into a muddy swamp with the slate trucks.
The white slate trucks are based on the 2-bar wooden slate wagons of the Talyllyn Railway. The third style of slate trucks are based on the ornate wooden bodied wagons from the Dinorwic Quarry on the 4 ft Padarn Railway. The fourth style of slate trucks are based on the Great Western '2 foot' gauge slate wagon, used on various narrow gauge lines such as the Corris, the Welshpool and Llanfair and the Vale of Rheidol Railways. The Slate wagons are based on a metal bodied wagon featured at the Narrow Gauge Railway Museum.
- In the fourth series, the chassis for the slate trucks were made from Cooper Craft O gauge "GWR Match Truck" (3016) and were given modifications:
- Their ends were cut off.
- Parts of the middle were cut out.
- Diagonal w irons were cut off.
- A piece of styrene attached for stability.
- The slate trucks' faces would later be used for the Tankers in Toad Stands By.
- One of the slate trucks was sold on Vectis with Peter Sam's Series 4 small scale model. Eight slate trucks (Five small scale and three large scale) with their faces and loads are owned by Twitter user ThomasTankMerch. Another small scale slate truck is owned by Twitter user TomsProps.
- In Make Someone Happy, one of the large scale bodies was used as a shipping crate for the carousel horses that Percy and Oliver were collecting.
- In the CGI Series, smaller variations of the first and second type of slate trucks are also present at the Blue Mountain Quarry.
- Some re-scaled standard gauge versions of the slate trucks appeared in Journey Beyond Sodor.
- ERTL (discontinued)
- Thomas Engine Collection Series (discontinued)
- Motor Road and Rail (discontinued)
- TrackMaster (various colours)
- Take-n-Play (discontinued)
- Waku Waku (discontinued)