|This article is about 'the episode'. You may be looking for 'the magazine story'.|
- “So you're not going to scrap me?"
"Scrap Gordon? The fastest engine on Sodor? Who would pull the Express?”
- ―Gordon and Sir Topham Hatt
Squeak, Rattle and Roll is the fifteenth episode of the eighth series.
Gordon thinks pulling the express makes him the most important engine on Sodor. While departing from Brendam Docks with the Express, he ends up making Diesel cross when he has to move to let Gordon through and, to spite him, tells Gordon that steam engines will soon be scrapped. Gordon thinks it is nonsense, but when he starts to hear a squeaking noise from his wheels, he starts to fear that Diesel may be telling the truth, but he discovers that if he goes slow the squeak disappears.
The next day, Gordon is given the job of taking the Fat Controller and some children to Brendam for a boating trip and as he is on his way to Knapford, he picks up speed and his squeaks begin again, and eventually starts noticing a rattle. Gordon starts to slow down again while having to choose between being late for going slowly or being scrapped when he starts to pick up speed. This ends up with the Fat Controller questioning Gordon for going slow and tells him he is the fastest engine on Sodor. Proud at these words, Gordon picks up speed and hears his squeak and rattle, and then hears a knocking noise. However, Gordon ignores them as he ends up thinking that if this is going to be his last trip, he is going to make it count by going as fast as he can.
At Brendam, the children make it on time, while the Fat Controller notices the noise and does not have Gordon scrapped, instead to be sent to the repair yard. Gordon spends the following day in the repair yard having his pistons polished and his axles and wheels thoroughly lubricated. He finally no longer makes any more of the noises when he has to run quickly.
- Sir Topham Hatt
- Stephen Hatt (not named)
- Henry (does not speak)
- Salty (does not speak)
- Cranky (cameo)
- Big Mickey (cameo)
- Bridget Hatt (cameo)
- Refreshment Lady (cameo)
- Thomas (deleted scene)
- This episode is named after the Joe Turner song "Shake, Rattle and Roll."
- Two deleted scenes imply that Thomas was due to appear in the episode. Had the scenes not been deleted, the eighth series would have been the first series in which Thomas appears in every episode.
- A deleted scene shows Sir Topham Hatt smiling in Gordon's cab.
- Going by production order, this is the sixth episode of the eighth series.
- Edited stock footage from Henry and the Wishing Tree is used.
- Studio equipment is visible in the second scene.
- When the narrator says "something was wrong" Gordon hits a branch above the track.
- When Gordon was worried if Diesel was right about The Fat Controller scrapping him, he loses a coach. In the next shot, he regains it.
- When Gordon pulls into Knapford, the clock reads 10:10, but the boat was to leave at 9:00.
- When the narrator said "If he went slowly the children would miss their boat trip" steam suddenly disappears from Gordon's face because of the face mask change and in the shot of the children looking out the window, the scenery is moving the wrong way as the coach window is not a bay window. The same mistake happens again when all the children are on board, the passenger window is facing the station.
- When Gordon is being repaired, his eyes are wonky.
- When Diesel moves out of Gordon's way, he is sitting on points to another track. Gordon rumbles over the points going straight without anybody ever switching the points.
In Other Languages
Home Media Releases