|This article is about the standard gauge engine. You may be looking for the narrow gauge engine or the Story Library book.|
Stanley is a silver saddle tank engine. He works as both a shunting engine and a mixed traffic engine.
Thomas & Friends
Stanley was brought to Sodor to take care of Thomas' workload during the restoration of Great Waterton. It had to be ready by Sodor Day. Upon his arrival, Stanley became very popular and enjoyed the company of the engines.
Stanley's popularity caused Thomas to feel jealous and later neglected. Thomas felt that Stanley was newer, bigger and stronger than he - and would take over his place on the railway. Thomas then planned to make Stanley look weak - the trick backfired and caused Thomas' friends to consider him mean and incompetent.
When Thomas later went missing, Stanley was the first to realise Thomas' feelings. He searched for Thomas until he finally managed to find him in a ditch and rescue him. Then, both became friends and with a combined effort made it back to Great Waterton in time to prepare for the opening celebrations.
Stanley later worked in the yards with Thomas and James during the winter and helped with the rebuilding of the Sodor River Bridge. Also, he went to Great Waterton with Gordon to pick up passengers and when Gordon bumped into a flatbed being pushed by Ben, he warned Stanley about the fallen logs and was able to warn him just in time.
Stanley was amongst the engines at Knapford who were worried about Percy's whereabouts when Percy was spending his time with the Diesels at the Dieselworks. Later on in the winter, he suffered from a faulty firebox and Thomas came to his aid once again.
More recently, Stanley can be seen working at the Shunting Yards, the China Clay Works and Ffarquhar Quarry. Salty also mentioned that Stanley, in one of his spooky stories, was an old engine who lost his flatbeds while climbing a hill and ever since then his flatbeds have been stated to haunt the rails. When Samson backed onto Gordon's express coaches by accident when he was told to take the stone to the Blue Mountain Quarry, Stanley tried to inform Samson that he had made a mistake, but the cabless tank engine refused to listen to Stanley while proving not to make another mistake.
Stanley was also one of the engines told about the rumour of Toby being scrapped.
He also shunted a train of shiny branch line coaches for James one day, who was being his usual self; vain and overconfident and when James was asked to take waste trucks to Whiff's Waste Dump, he questioned Stanley why he could not pull nice shiny coaches, in which Stanley tells James that Edward took them instead.
Stanley was also one of the many engines who wanted to go to the Great Railway Show. Like most engines, however, he was not chosen and was left on Sodor to do the other engines' jobs.
When the Diesels at the Dieselworks were put out of action, Stanley and Rosie worked hard to shunt the trucks.
Stanley is the "boy-next-door" of Sir Topham Hatt's Railway. Cool, courteous and cheery, he is a little bit bigger, a little bit newer and a little bit stronger than Thomas, which, at first, made Thomas jealous when all focus seemed to be on this shiny, new arrival, especially when he began helping with the restoration of Great Waterton. However, even Thomas was soon won over by Stanley's positive attitude, charm and friendliness and came to see why he was so popular and well-liked among the other engines. As such, Thomas and Stanley are now firm friends.
Stanley is incredibly compassionate and empathic: there is nothing he would not do for another engine. And if he could not do it, he would find someone who could. He is sleek, smart and stylish and his silver and light grey appearance, with striking red wheels and a shining smokebox certainly makes him look the part as he eagerly goes about his work.
Stanley is based on a hybrid cross of a Hudswell Clarke 0-6-0ST engine and Kitson's No. 5459 "Austin I", but with a taller funnel.
Stanley is painted in a silver grey livery with a metallic silver smokebox, red wheels and lining. He has a red running plate with a dark grey base coat and has red nameplates with his name in silver on each side of his saddle tank.
|First used||Last used||Sound Effect|
|The Great Discovery||Active|
|First used||Last used||Sound Effect|
|Series 12||Series 12|
- One of Stanley's models used to be on display in Canada at Nitrogen Studios.
- Stanley's popularity with the public has grown following an online video called "A Toy Train in Space", in which a Wooden Railway toy of him was sent into the stratosphere. As a result, Take-n-Play, Collectible Railway and Adventures "Stanley in Space" toys have been released.
- A remote that was used to control the eye mechanisms of both Stanley and Murdoch is owned by Twitter user IsaacM6991.
- Stanley has had a different voice actor in the US dub for almost every single one of his appearances. This makes him the first character to not have a consistent voice actor in one of the English dubs, until Rob Rackstraw took over for him from Series 20 present, with the exception of John Schwab in Pouty James.
- Even when his voice actor is consistent, his voice never sounds the same in each appearance.
- During his debut, he was temporarily the ninth member of the Steam Team.
- Wooden Railway (five versions; discontinued)
- Take Along (discontinued)
- Take-n-Play (normal and with space helmet; discontinued)
- Motor Road and Rail (discontinued)
- TrackMaster (normal and remote-control, remote-control model discontinued)
- Classic Minis
- DC Super Friends Minis (as Black Hand)
- Creatures Minis
- Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers Minis (as the White Ranger)
- Slime Minis (exclusive to the 2017 30-pack)
- Neon Splatter Minis
- Fruit Minis
- Camo Minis
- Light Up Minis
- Neon Glow in the Dark Minis
- X-Ray Minis
- My First Thomas (talking; discontinued)
- My Thomas Story Library (discontinued)
- LEGO (discontinued)
- Mega Bloks (discontinued)
- Wind-up (normal and metallic; Japan and Australia only)
- Boss (with grey tanker; discontinued)
- Bath Toys
- Collectible Railway (normal, space helmet and glow racers)
- Adventures (normal, glow racers and "in space"; all discontinued)
- Wood (redesigned in 2020)