Stephen "Steve" Asquith was the director of Thomas & Friends for Series eighth to twelfth series. He, David Eves and Terence Permane hold the record for working the longest on the show, with a total of 24 years. He began working on the show when it started in 1984 and left after 2008 when the show converted to CGI animation.
When David Mitton held the director position, Stephen held a number of different positions on the show. These positions consisted of Second Unit Director (first series), First Assistant Director (second series), Production Supervisor (third series), Models Supervisor (fourth series and Thomas and the Magic Railroad), Assistant Director (fifth series), Associate Producer (sixth series) and Programme Consultant (seventh series).
Asquith directed the sixth series episodes Jack Jumps In and A Friend in Need, and the Jack and the Sodor Construction Company spin-off series. He then became the show's main director after David Mitton's retirement and remained in that role until 2008 when production moved to Nitrogen Studios. After which, Greg Tiernan took the director's position.
In an interview with SiF, Asquith mentioned that after his work on Thomas ended, he applied for a job as a letter sorter.
- Series 1 (second unit director)
- Series 2 (first assistant director)
- Series 5 (assistant director)
- Series 6 (two episodes)
- Jack and the Sodor Construction Company
- Series 8
- Series 9
- Series 10
- Series 11
- Series 12
- Series 6 (associate producer)
- He, Simon Spencer, Laura Beaumont, Paul Larson, Ed Welch, Marc Seal and Jocelyn Stevenson all worked on Jim Henson's Construction Site.
- He was credited as "Stephen Asquith" in Thomas and the Magic Railroad.