Stephen Topham Hatt
Sir Stephen Topham Hatt
Charles Topham Hatt and Amanda Croarie
Richard Topham Hatt Charles Nicholas Hatt Emily Helen Hatt
Stephen Topham Hatt (born 1941) is Sir Topham Hatt's grandson. In The Railway Series, he took over his father's role as controller of the North Western Railway in 1984 and became Sir Topham Hatt III in 1997.
Stephen Hatt was in 1941 to Charles Topham and Amanda Hatt (nee Croarie), his sister Bridget was born two years later in 1943. In 1951, the Hatts spent a long holiday on
Toby's old line in East Anglia. Stephen was excited when he first met Toby, but Bridget accidentally offended him by assuming he was an electric tram.
He became the Fat Controller in 1984, and succeeded to his father's baronetcy upon his death in 1997. In 1970, he married Helen Margaret, a distant cousin and granddaughter of the Reverend Nicholas Dreswick, the much-respected historian of
Sodor. They had three children: Richard Topham, born in 1972 and no doubt destined to be Sir Topham Hatt IV (Stephen will be seventy-six in 2017, though he has, as yet, given no hint of retiring), Charles Nicholas (1974-present) and Emily Helen (1977-present).
He played a part in the construction of
Jock, which was a project dear to his father's heart. With great skill, he masterminded the arrangements for the royal visit in 1995, when he welcomed the Prince of Wales on his first visit to Sodor.
Stephen had never grown up to be controller, and has always remained ten years old. He was amongst the boys who teased
Daisy about bull's-eyes, and was also amongst the boys who teased Sir Handel about George. He and Bridget helped Toby discover an old castle. He thought that Edward was the strongest and the best, after Edward pushed Duck, Gordon, and their trains into Knapford Station. He and Bridget flew a kite, which got blown away, but Thomas, along with Charlie, Percy, Edward and Emily retrieved it.
He and Bridget later caught chickenpox, convincing
Henry that engines could catch chickenpox as well. To cheer them up, their grandfather took them for a day out in Winston. Stephen attended Sir Robert Norramby's Christmas Lunch and the opening of the Harwick Branch Line with the rest of his family.
Once, he, along with his sister and grandfather were supposed to take a tour around Arlesburgh Harbour on
Skiff, however the rail boat thought he saw a mermaid and went to sea with just his grandfather aboard, to his and Bridget's distress. Eventually, Harold and Captain found them. Another time, he was part of a group of VIPs that Hugo took on a rail tour from Knapford to Vicarstown.
He appeared in the following books as the Fat Controller:
- James and the Diesel Engines Old Stuck-Up ( not seen) and Crossed Lines ( does not speak)
- More About Thomas the Tank Engine Thomas, Percy and the Coal ( mentioned), The Runaway and Better Late Than Never ( mentioned)
- Gordon the High-Speed Engine High-Speed Gordon ( mentioned), Smokescreen ( does not speak), Fire Escape and Gordon Proves His Point
- Toby, Trucks and Trouble Mavis and the Lorry, Toby's Seaside Holiday ( mentioned), Bulstrode ( mentioned) and Toby Takes the Road
- Thomas and the Twins Scrambled Eggs and Trevor Helps Out
- Thomas and the Great Railway Show Museum-Piece, Not the Ticket ( mentioned), Trouble on the Line ( mentioned) and Thomas and the Railtour
- Thomas Comes Home Snow Problem ( mentioned), Washout! ( does not speak) and Thomas Comes Home
- Henry and the Express Out of Puff ( mentioned), Overhaul, Sliding Scales ( mentioned) and Henry Sees Red
- Wilbert the Forest Engine Percy's Porridge and Wired-Up
- Thomas and the Fat Controller's Engines Birdstrike, Edward and the Cabbages, Rabbits ( not seen) and Golden Jubilee
- Thomas and Victoria Overloaded ( not seen; does not speak), Avalanche ( mentioned) and Toby's Vintage Train
- Thomas and his Friends Thomas and the Swan, Buffer Bashing, Gordon's Fire Service ( does not speak) and Centenary
Thomas and the Missing Christmas Tree
Thomas and the Evil Diesel
Thomas and the Hurricane
- Series 1 Thomas and Gordon (, cameo) Thomas' Train (, cameo) Thomas and the Trucks (, cameo) James and the Coaches ( and cameo) Toby and the Stout Gentleman
- Series 2 Saved from Scrap (, cameo) Old Iron ( and cameo) Wrong Road (
cameo) - Series 3 Percy's Promise (, cameo) Time for Trouble (, cameo) Gordon and the Famous Visitor (, cameo) Thomas Gets Bumped ( not named), Diesel Does it Again ( and cameo) Edward, Trevor and the Really Useful Party (
cameo) - Series 4 Bulldog (, cameo) Peter Sam and the Refreshment Lady (, cameo) Steam Roller (, cameo) Rusty to the Rescue (, cameo) Bowled Out (, cameo) Henry and the Elephant ( and cameo) Bulls Eyes (
cameo) - Series 5 A Better View for Gordon (, cameo) Bye George! (, cameo) Baa! ( not named), Toby and the Flood (, cameo) Toby's Discovery ( not named), Thomas and the Rumours ( and cameo) Sir Topham Hatt's Holiday ( not named)
- Series 6 Harvey to the Rescue (, cameo) No Sleep for Cranky ( stock footage cameo), James and the Red Balloon (, cameo) Percy and the Haunted Mine (, cameo) Thomas, Percy and the Squeak ( and cameo) Edward the Very Useful Engine ( not named)
- Series 7 Emily's New Coaches ( deleted scene cameo), Bill, Ben and Fergus (, cameo) Rheneas and the Roller Coaster (, cameo) Snow Engine ( not named), Something Fishy (, cameo) Harold and the Flying Horse ( and cameo) Three Cheers for Thomas (
cameo) - Series 8 Thomas and the Tuba (, cameo) Henry and the Wishing Tree (, cameo) Thomas Saves the Day (, cameo) Thomas and the Firework Display (, cameo) Squeak, Rattle and Roll ( not named), Thomas and the Circus (, cameo) James Goes Too Far ( and cameo) Chickens to School (
cameo) - Series 9 Percy and the Oil Painting (, cameo) Thomas and the Rainbow (, cameo) Thomas' Milkshake Muddle (, cameo) Thomas and the Birthday Picnic (, cameo) Thomas and the Toy Shop ( and cameo) Thomas Tries His Best (
cameo) - Series 10 Follow that Flour (, cameo) Thomas and the Jet Plane (, cameo) Percy and the Funfair (, cameo) Seeing the Sights (, cameo) Which Way Now? ( not named) , Sticky Toffee Thomas ( and cameo) Thomas and the Treasure (
cameo) - Series 11 Thomas and the Storyteller (, cameo) Thomas and the Big Bang (, cameo) Edward and the Mail (, cameo) Toby's Triumph (, cameo) Thomas and the Runaway Car ( and cameo) Percy and the Left Luggage (
cameo) - Series 13 Thomas and the Runaway Kite
- Series 14 Diesel's Special Delivery
- Series 15 Wonky Whistle (
cameo) - Series 16 Muddy Matters (
cameo) - Series 17 Wayward Winston ( not named; does not speak)
- Series 19 Henry Spots Trouble, Reds vs. Blues ( and cameo) Diesel's Ghostly Christmas (
cameo) - Series 20 Engine of the Future and Skiff and the Mermaid
- Series 21 Confused Coaches
- Series 22 Forever and Ever and Hunt the Truck
1993 - Thomas and the Toboggan!
1994 - Thomas and Trevor and Well Caught!
1996 - A Day at the Beach!, The Little Line, Play Time!, The Thomas Kart!, The Brown Bear and Lost Property!
1997 - 'Smile, Please!', The Daisy Chain and Bobbing About!
1998 - The Snow Engine!, Look Alike, The Carnival!, The Easter Cake!, The Train Game and Toby and the Stout Gentleman! ( does not speak)
2000 - Count with Duck ( possible cameo)
2001 - The Pop Show, Rolling Around! and Skating Show!
2002 - Toby to the Rescue! and Time for a Trim
2003 - Playbus, Seaside Search! (, cameo) Cook Controller! ( not named; mentioned), Really Fast Food!, Percy's Party! ( and cameo) Feeding Time (
cameo) 2004 - Rope Rescue, Percy the Pirate, Night Lights, James and the Red Balloon (, cameo) Holiday Hat ( does not speak), Bertie and the Race ( and cameo) Edward to the Rescue! ( not named)
2005 - Working Christmas, Model Engines, Squeak, Rattle and Roll ( and cameo) Thomas Saves the Day (
cameo) 2006 - Passenger Plane, Busy Bee and The Snow Controller ( does not speak)
2007 - Canal Cruise, Seeing the Sights ( and cameo) Snow Surprise
2008 - Giant Puffer and A Spring Clean! ( does not speak)
2009 - Thomas Saves the Day (
cameo) 2010 - Launching Lizzie, Piggy-in-the-middle!, Proud Puffers and Thomas and the Kites ( does not speak)
2011 - The Runaway Kite ( speaks in speech bubble only), Watch the Clock and Puffer Portrait
2012 - Prize Guys and Wonky Whistle (
cameo) 2013 - The Railway Rink and New Year Party
2014 - Kite Flying and Thomas and the Kites ( does not speak)
2016 - Henry Spots Trouble ( speaks in speech bubble only)
2017 - Thomas and the Kites ( does not speak)
Stephen Hatt also appeared in the magazine stories,
A Colourful Christmas, A Friend's Party, A Hole in One, Big Catch, Daisy and the Fish, Doctors and Nurses, Dressing Up, Fair Scare!, Feeding Time, Gone Fishing, Happy Holiday!, Harvest Time, Keeping Dry, Lights On, Misbehaving, Puzzles, Retirement Time, Snap Happy, Station Mystery, Steaming!, The Christmas Sacks, The Flower Dome, The Hallowe'en Special, The Tiny Engine and Working Whistles.
In the magazines, he and Bridget have a friend named Marcus.
In the magazine story, The Hallowe'en Special, it is said that Stephen and Bridget live on the Mainland and only come to stay with Sir Topham and Lady Hatt every so often.
In Saved from Scrap, Stephen's model was used as one of The Vicar's sons.
From the third to seventeenth series, Stephen wore a green sweatshirt instead of a jacket and tie.
* | RWS only ** only | T&F --- Dropped