|This article is about the episode. You may be looking for the 2008 book and DVD release.|
- “The party was a great success, and there was only one thing more popular than the sticky toffee apples. And that was sticky toffee Thomas!”
- ―The Narrator
Sticky Toffee Thomas, retitled Sticky Taffy Thomas is the fourteenth episode of the tenth series.
A children's costume party is being held, and the engines have various jobs to do for it. Percy is collecting cakes and candies, Toby is delivering sticky toffee, and Thomas arrives with the tables and chairs. When Thomas sees some children making costumes, he wants to go to the party in costume, too. The Fat Controller instructs Thomas to have a washdown so he would look his best for the train rides he would give at the party later.
When Percy sees Thomas at the washdown, he jokingly suggests that Thomas go covered in bubbles. Thomas takes his joke the wrong way and puffs off, still covered in soap suds. Unfortunately, they get into his eyes and he cannot see where he is going. He then crashes into Toby and the toffee tanker, breaking Toby's axle. Thomas offers to take the tanker and puffs off after being cleaned of the suds, but after seeing Jeremy in the air and contemplating going as a plane, his concentration drifts.
Once Thomas catches himself daydreaming, he realizes how late he is and races along the line at top speed. Unaware the points have been changed, he crashes into some buffers, opening the toffee tanker and getting drenched in toffee. Having foiled the whole purpose of being washed, which was to give train rides at the party, Thomas is upset and regrets not thinking of what he was doing.
Determined to at least deliver the sticky toffee on time, Thomas decides to use a shortcut -- a long since disused line he suddenly spied off to the side. No longer thinking of costumes, Thomas pushes through the overgrowth, despite the sticky toffee causing him to get covered with branches and leaves. When he arrives, Thomas explains how he brought the toffee but cannot give train rides due to being messy. The children declare him to not be messy but rather in costume -- the best costume of all.
- Sir Topham Hatt
- Jeremy (does not speak)
- Emily (cameo)
- Molly (cameo)
- Annie and Clarabel (cameo)
- Stephen Hatt (cameo)
- Bridget Hatt (cameo)
- Sir Topham Hatt's Assistants (cameos)
- Going by production order, this is the twelfth episode of the tenth series.
- A rare photo shows a deleted scene of Thomas, still covered with branches and leaves, at the party with Annie and Clarabel.
- A "Mouse Trap" board game, the first place ribbons from the eighth series episode, Spic and Span and a medal from the seventh series episode, Three Cheers for Thomas are on the table near the girl making her clown costume.
- A reference to this episode would be made later in the twentieth series episode, Hugo and the Airship.
- In the UK narration, the costume party is referred to as a "fancy dress."
- The US narration of the episode was never released on home media.
- When Thomas is at the airport, his face is slightly loose.
- In the shot of Thomas after being splattered with toffee, there is less toffee on him than there was in the previous scene.
- In the shot of Thomas after being splattered with toffee, there was a drop of toffee falling from his chin. But in the next shot, the drop is back on Thomas' chin.
- A string can be seen pulling Jeremy across the runway.
- When Thomas says "I want to go to the party in fancy dress too!" and when he imagines himself with a big top hat, the tracks behind him lead to the bushes. In the same scene, when he is imaginating, his wheels are going slower than how fast he is moving.
- In the close-up of the workmen putting soap suds on Thomas, one of them has some kind of white substance (possibly blu-tak) on his right shoulder.
- Toby's face is loose when Thomas begins pushing the toffee tanker.
- Thomas' siderods change position immediately when he watches Jeremy flying.
- Bushes are stuck up on Thomas' back even though the toffee could not have reached that far.
- When Thomas arrives at the party with the toffee, his steam platform is visible and some kind of green cloth is stuck on all over Thomas presumably for sticking on the bushes' leaves.
- In the final shot, the toffee tanker disappears even though Thomas has not moved from the place he was when he arrived.
- Capsule Plarail - Thomas dressed as a plane, Thomas covered in bubbles and Top Hat Thomas
- Limited Edition Collection
- Books - Thomas and the Sticky Toffee and Sticky Toffee Thomas
- Bachmann - Large Scale Toffee Tanker
In Other Languages
Home Media Releases