The Greatest Stories is a US and Canadian two-disc DVD set which was released in commemoration of the 65th anniversary of the Railway Series, featuring two first series episodes, two second series episodes, two third series episodes, one fourth series episode, one fifth series episode, one seventh series episode, four eighth series episodes, two ninth series episodes, two tenth series episodes and three eleventh series episodes.
With Thomas & Friends™, children enter an exciting world of imagination with adventures full of friendship, cooperation and discovery. In this special 2-disc set, see how Thomas met his famous friends and became one of the most beloved preschool characters of all time. With legendary narrators George Carlin, Ringo Starr, and Alec Baldwin guiding the tour, this is one express train you don't want to miss!
- Thomas Gets Tricked (Ringo Starr UK; restored)
- Edward Helps Out (Ringo Starr UK; restored)
- Diesel's Devious Deed (Ringo Starr US; restored)
- Percy's Ghostly Trick (George Carlin; restored)
- Thomas, Percy and the Dragon (George Carlin; restored)
- Trust Thomas (George Carlin; restored)
- Henry and the Elephant (George Carlin)
- Cranky Bugs (Alec Baldwin)
- Snow Engine (Michael Brandon)
- Thomas Saves the Day (Michael Brandon)
- Edward the Great (Michael Brandon)
- James Gets a New Coat (Michael Brandon)
- Thomas to the Rescue (Michael Brandon)
- Thomas and the Birthday Picnic (Michael Brandon)
- Emily Knows Best (Michael Brandon)
- Percy and the Carnival (Michael Brandon)
- Thomas and the Birthday Mail (Michael Brandon)
- Sir Handel in Charge (Michael Brandon)
- Skarloey Storms Through (Michael Brandon)
- Duncan Does it All (Michael Brandon)
- Sodor Activity Deport CD-Rom games (only works with Windows XP operating systems):
- "Create Your Own Thomas Story" from Track Stars
- Coloring Pages
- "How Did Thomas Meet His Friends?" Trivia Game
- Storybook Adventure Game from Thomas' Sodor Celebration!
- Thomas Saves the Day Enhanced Read-Along
- Four Character Sing-Alongs:
- Four Music Videos:
- Thomas Gets Tricked and Edward Helps Out use the British narration.
- At the end of Diesel's Devious Deed, "steam" sound effects from Mr. Conductor's whistle can be heard, due to the audio taken from a Shining Time Station airing.
- In James Gets a New Coat, the freight cars' laugh is muted out.
- The back cover says that one of the bonus features is a DVD ROM feature with colouring pages and a desktop wallpaper. But this feature only works for computers running Windows XP operating systems.
- This is the second US DVD to feature UK episodes, the first being The Early Years.
- Some of the clips used in the Thomas' Trivia Game are from UK narrations of episodes.
- This is the first time Never, Never, Never Give Up was released on DVD in the US.
- The eleventh series episodes use the eighth-tenth series intro and end credits.
- This particular release would later influence the artwork for Complete Series DVDs in the UK.
- On some later releases, it came with Blue Mountain Mystery Collectable Colouring Books.
- The audio overlaps in the French narration of Cranky Bugs, which was the only featured episode to have narration done by Alec Baldwin.
- In "How Did Thomas Meet his Friends?" Trivia Game, video footage from Thomas Gets Tricked, Edward Helps Out, Come Out, Henry!, A Big Day for Thomas, Thomas Saves the Day, Trouble in the Shed, Thomas Breaks the Rules, Emily's New Coaches, Duncan and the Old Mine, and Thomas and the Birthday Mail were used.
- The UK release, The Best of Thomas, shares twelve out of twenty episodes with this DVD.
- Michael Brandon is not mentioned in the title, despite the fact that he narrated more than half the episodes in the collection.