|This article is about the vehicles. You may be looking for the episode.|
The Horrid Lorries, individually referred to as Lorry 1, Lorry 2 and Lorry 3, are three small lorries who were incredibly rude to the engines.
Thomas & Friends
When Percy was late one day, Cranky suggested that a lorry should do his work. True to his word (and delight), three red, incredibly rude lorries arrived the next day. Lorry 2 called Percy a lump of steaming scrap iron, while Lorry 1 called him a "little green goblin on wheels", told him he would be scrapped and he also insulted Thomas and James.
At the quarry, Toby encountered Lorry 2; he told Toby that he belonged in a museum and to "toodle off", saying that Toby was not useful. Toby tried to find work at the mill, but Lorry 3 was there already. He said that the three lorries were doing the "slow" engines' work, while the foreman said that times were changing.
Of course, all three got their comeuppance in due course: Lorry 2 fell off a mountainside (in front of Toby; Percy ironically echoed the "steaming scrap iron" line to him), Lorry 3 broke down after being overloaded with flour (which led to Toby bringing up the usefulness insult) and was brought to the docks by Butch and Lorry 1 reversed into the sea. Later, Thomas saw the three lorries and due to the impact of their damage, he nicknamed them "Smashed" (Lorry 2), "Broken" (Lorry 3) and "Sunk" (Lorry 1). The lorries were then sent away and despite Lorry 2 declaring that they would return, they never have.
The Lorries were arrogant, mean and rude towards the engines. They believed that the railway was inferior to the roadways and also enjoyed teasing the engines for their appearances. They were also very careless, and this led to their disgrace.
The lorries seem to be based on Foden OG range lorries, which were once a common sight around railway yards.
The Horrid Lorries are painted a brownish-red. Their registration plates are black with white lettering reading "LOR" followed by their respective numbers. They sometimes have grey tarpaulins over their flatbeds.
The lorries have also been seen in several other liveries aside from the standard brownish-red one and have been accompanied by other lorries in other medias:
- In the Thomas Visits the Docks puzzle and an official 65th anniversary board game, Lorry 1 is painted green.
- In the Round the Rails board game, while Lorry 1 is painted red, Lorries 2 and 3 are painted yellow and dark green respectively. There is also a "Lorry 4" painted blue. Each lorry was painted different colours to make them distinguishable from one another.
- Another Horrid Lorry, painted yellow, is seen at the crossing in the book, Thomas and Toby.
- In various magazines and books, the lorries are often seen without their registration plates.
Faceless Lorry 2
|First used||Last used||Sound Effect|
|Toby's Windmill||Toby's Windmill|
- The Official Website, as well as various magazine articles and file facts, state that the Lorries were "especially built to work at Sodor Construction Company". It is therefore possible that they may have been originally intended to be members of the Pack.
- A similar looking lorry appeared in the magazine story, The Carnival. However, this Lorry was introduced four months before the fifth series episode, Horrid Lorry, in which the Horrid Lorries made their debut appearances.
- Their engine sounds are shared with Bertie, as well as Lorry 2 sharing Bertie's 4th to 7th Season horn in Toby's Windmill.
- Lorry 1 was the only one to be made in all merchandising ranges the Lorries were released in.
- Each lorry has individually shaped noses and eyebrows. However, there has been several instances in which the lorries share the same style facemasks.
- Lorry 3 makes the least amount of appearances in the magazines.
- ERTL (all three; discontinued)
- Wooden Railway (all three; discontinued)
- Take Along (Lorry 1; discontinued)
- Motor Road and Rail (Lorry 1; discontinued)
- My First Thomas (Lorry 1; discontinued)
- Nakayoshi (Lorry 1; discontinued)
- Trading Cards (all three; discontinued)