|This article is about the episode. You may be looking for the magazine story or the television series bridge.|
- “Thank you. You were very brave to help me.”
The Old Bridge, incorrectly retitled The Old Iron Bridge in some releases, is the fourth episode of the seventh series.
Skarloey and Rheneas love to puff along the narrow gauge railway. But an old wooden bridge has been damaged by a storm. One day, Skarloey is enjoying his journey and when he puffs across the bridge he ends up on the broken beam, which he does not see until the last second, and dangles precariously above the river. But Rheneas pulls him to safety.
A few days later, the Fat Controller tells the engines that the bridge has been mended. He also tells Skarloey to collect the worker's trucks that have been left there. He agrees, but he is afraid to go on the bridge again. Skarloey arrives and sees the trucks on the other side of the bridge. He becomes afraid and remembers what happened before and stops halfway across. His driver tries to tell him that the bridge is safe, but Skarloey is still doubtful. So they leave without the trucks. They arrive back at the sheds and Rheneas' driver decides that he will pick up the trucks instead. Rheneas warns Skarloey that the Fat Controller will be cross if he does not cross the bridge soon.
Now Rheneas has to take Skarloey's trucks as well as his own. He puffs across the bridge with his heavy train. Meanwhile the Fat Controller punishes Skarloey for disobeying him, telling him to stay and shunt trucks until he will do as told.
The next morning, Rheneas takes his long train as usual and puffs through the countryside towards the old bridge. But while halfway across the bridge, he soon runs out of water. The yard manager tells Skarloey, who sets off to help him immediately. Skarloey arrives and sees Rheneas stranded. He is very scared, but he is determined and bravely chuffs onto the bridge. It creaks and groans underneath him, but he finally reaches Rheneas and gets coupled up to him and pulls Rheneas to safety.
Rheneas takes on water and tells Skarloey that he was very brave to help him. Now, Skarloey is no longer afraid of crossing the bridge and he loves his journeys more than ever.
- The Depot
- Hawin Doorey Castle
- Valley View
- The Old Trestle Bridge
- River Hoo
- Rheneas Viaduct (stock footage)
- Skarloey Bridge (stock footage)
- Going by production order, this is the eleventh episode of the seventh series.
- Stock footage and a deleted scene from Dunkin Duncan is used.
- The plot is somewhat similar to the 1993 magazine story The Viaduct!
- Small scale narrow-gauge trucks from the fourth and fifth series are seen in shots below the bridge.
- On Nick Jr. airings in the UK and PBS Kids airings in the US, this episode is called "The Old Iron Bridge", but the bridge is wooden, not iron.
- Skarloey's eyes are misaligned in the third shot.
- Skarloey falls down the broken rail on the bridge and hits the broken bridge rail on the other end smokebox first, but in the following scene, Skarloey is a short distance away in between his smokebox and rail before Rheneas helped him out.
- Skarloey is wobbling when Rheneas pulls him away from the bridge.
- When Skarloey leaves for the Old Bridge, Rheneas' eyes are misaligned.
- When Rheneas approaches the bridge for the last time, he is pulling a train that he was seen pulling in the beginning of the episode rather than the train he was previously seen pulling.
- When Skarloey shunts coaches at the yard, his eyes look misaligned.
- Rheneas is wearing Skarloey's happy face mask when he is rescued.
- Skarloey and Rheneas continually change whistle sounds.
- A rare picture shows that Skarloey is wearing Duncan's eyes shut face mask when he dangles above the old bridge.
- Skarloey: (dangles dangerously above the water while on The Old Bridge) HELP!
- Skarloey's Driver: Come on, Skarloey! The bridge is safe now!
- (Skarloey refuses to cross the bridge)
- Rheneas's Driver: We'll pick up the trucks/freight cars.
- Rheneas: But if you don't cross the bridge soon, The Fat Controller/Sir Topham Hatt will be cross.
- Rheneas: (runs out of water on The Old Bridge) Bother!
In Other Languages
Home Media Releases