The Pump Trolley (handcar or pump car in the United States) is a railway vehicle with a pivoting arm mounted on it, which is pushed down and pulled up for propulsion by two people standing on either end.
In its first appearance, Old Bailey took the Pump Trolley to get around his old line, watching for broken signals or collapsed viaducts. He once used it to alert to Henry, after the big green engine accidentally pushed some trucks into a ravine.
In the CGI Series, it is used by the workmen for maintenance work. Sir Topham Hatt and his helpers would occasionally use the Pump Trolley as a private mode of transportation when the engines were not available, most notably around Misty Island.
- Series 5 - Haunted Henry
- Series 6 - Salty's Secret
- Series 14 - Thomas in Charge, Being Percy, Merry Winter Wish, Thomas' Crazy Day, and Thomas and Scruff
- Series 15 - Up, Up and Away!, Stop That Bus! and Kevin the Steamie
- Series 16 - Welcome Stafford
- Series 22 - Forever and Ever
- Series 23 - Heart of Gold
- 2010 - Haunted Henry
- In the CGI series, the Pump Trolley has been reduced in size in comparison to its model counterpart.
- A real Pump Trolley was featured in 10 Years of Thomas the Tank Engine & Friends during the Day Out with Thomas event.
All of the merchandise is under the name "Hand Car".