- “You can't fool us!”
- ―Thomas to Percy
Percy sees a new engine being unloaded from a boat, but the other engines do not believe him. They soon find out that the new engine is a visitor. The engine is to run an express line that has not been used in a while, but Gordon becomes angry at the fact that people think of him as really important. When the engine breaks down, Douglas takes his train while Donald helps him to the works. Gordon starts to tease him, but sees him upset and cheers him up.
- Sir Topham Hatt
- Donald and Douglas (Donald does not speak, Douglas is mentioned)
- Flying Thistle (does not speak)
- Bill and Ben (do not speak)
- The original copies illustrated Flying Thistle with a face. In later versions, he has a smokebox door instead of a face. Despite this change, he remains sentient.
- One of the Flying Thistle's piston rods are facing the wrong way.