The Wild Nor' Wester
The Wild Nor' Wester
The Express The Click-Clunk Express ( by ) Emily
( 1,435 mm; standard gauge)
Wild Nor' Wester (known as The Express in the television series) is an express passenger service train. In the Railway Series the duty of pulling the train was usually given to Gordon but it was later passed down to Pip and Emma. In the television series, Gordon maintains the responsibility - with assistance from Rebecca.
The Wild Nor' Wester was created to provide an express passenger service between
Sodor and London. In 1925, following an agreement with the LMS, locomotive exchanges were moved from Vicarstown to Barrow-in-Furness.
During 1959, a special coach was added to the express that would be detached at Tidmouth for passengers traveling on
Thomas' Branch Line.
By 2010, as too much time was being wasted on changing engines at Barrow, Sir Stephen Hatt purchased Pip and Emma to run the service.
The Wild Nor' Wester stops at the following stations:
A variety engines have pulled the Wild Nor' Wester. Before Pip and Emma took over, Gordon mainly pulled the express, through Henry, James, and Bear would sometimes do it. When
Class 40 failed, Stepney and Duck took his place, the latter later helping Thomas and Percy when Henry was ill . Edward also helped Henry pull the express when Gordon burst his safety valve.
Gordon ( superseded by Pip and Emma in the Railway Series)
Railway Series only
Television Series only
Railway Series only
Television Series only
- Series 1 Thomas and Gordon, Edward and Gordon (, mentioned) The Sad Story of Henry, Edward, Gordon and Henry, Thomas' Train, Thomas and the Breakdown Train, James and the Express, Tenders and Turntables, Trouble in the Shed, Percy Runs Away, The Flying Kipper, Whistles and Sneezes and Off the Rails
- Series 2 Cows, Percy and the Signal, Duck Takes Charge, Gordon Goes Foreign (, episode cancelled) Pop Goes the Diesel (, mentioned) The Missing Coach (, cancelled episode) Wrong Road and Thomas and the Missing Christmas Tree
- Series 3 Time for Trouble, Gordon and the Famous Visitor, Thomas, Percy and the Dragon, Henry's Forest (, mentioned) The Trouble with Mud, No Joke for James, Buzz, Buzz, Tender Engines, Heroes and Percy, James and the Fruitful Day
- Series 4 A Bad Day for Sir Handel and Bowled Out
- Series 5 Horrid Lorry, Bye George! and Haunted Henry
- Series 6 Salty's Secret, Harvey to the Rescue, No Sleep for Cranky, It's Only Snow, Twin Trouble, The World's Strongest Engine, Middle Engine, Jack Frost, Gordon Takes a Tumble, Percy's Chocolate Crunch, Thomas, Percy and the Squeak, Thomas the Jet Engine and Edward the Very Useful Engine
- Series 7 Edward's Brass Band, What's the Matter with Henry?, James and the Queen of Sodor, Bulgy Rides Again, Best Dressed Engine and Gordon and Spencer
- Series 8 Thomas to the Rescue, Henry and the Wishing Tree, James Gets a New Coat, Percy's Big Mistake, Thomas and the Firework Display, Gordon Takes Charge, Edward the Great, Squeak, Rattle and Roll, Thomas and the Circus, Thomas Gets it Right, As Good as Gordon, Fish, Halloween, You Can Do it, Toby!, James Goes Too Far and Percy and the Magic Carpet
- Series 9 Percy and the Oil Painting, Molly's Special Special, Respect for Gordon, Thomas Tries His Best, Thomas' Day Off, Thomas' New Trucks, Bold and Brave and Saving Edward
- Series 10 Percy and the Funfair, The Green Controller, It's Good to be Gordon, Seeing the Sights, Toby's New Shed, Big Strong Henry, Thomas and the Shooting Star, Topped Off Thomas, Thomas' Frosty Friend and Thomas and the Colours
- Series 11 Emily's Rubbish, Gordon and the Engineer, Henry's Lucky Day, Thomas and the Lighthouse, Don't be Silly, Billy, Toby's Triumph, Thomas and the Runaway Car and Thomas in Trouble
- Series 12 Thomas and the Billboard, Steady Eddie, Gordon Takes a Shortcut and Thomas Puts the Brakes On
- Series 13 Tickled Pink, Double Trouble, Slippy Sodor, The Early Bird, Play Time, Time for a Story, Toby's New Whistle, Splish Splash Splosh and The Biggest Present of All
- Series 14 Thomas' Tall Friend, Pingy Pongy Pick Up, Charlie and Eddie, Victor Says Yes, Thomas in Charge, Being Percy, Thomas and Scruff and O the Indignity
- Series 15 Gordon and Ferdinand (, stock footage) Emily and Dash, Percy's New Friends, Happy Hiro, Up, Up and Away!, Surprise, Surprise, Stuck on You, Tree Trouble and Fiery Flynn
- Series 16 Ol' Wheezy Wobbles, Express Coming Through, Flash Bang Wallop!, Bust My Buffers!, Thomas and the Sounds of Sodor, Sodor Surprise Day, Muddy Matters and Whiff's Wish
- Series 17 Scruff's Makeover, Wayward Winston, Gordon Runs Dry, Steamie Stafford, Henry's Hero, The Lost Puff, The Thomas Way, The Frozen Turntable (, mentioned) Gone Fishing and The Afternoon Tea Express
- Series 18 Old Reliable Edward, Signals Crossed, Duck and the Slip Coaches, Marion and the Pipe, Spencer's VIP, Long Lost Friend, Emily Saves the World and Samson at Your Service
- Series 19 Who's Geoffrey?, Lost Property, Henry Spots Trouble, Slow Stephen, The Little Engine Who Raced Ahead, Thomas the Babysitter and Goodbye Fat Controller
- Series 20 Sidney Sings, Toby's New Friend, Henry Gets the Express, Diesel and the Ducklings, Cautious Connor, Buckled Tracks and Bumpy Trucks, Henry in the Dark, Hugo and the Airship and Over the Hill
- Series 21 Dowager Hatt's Busy Day, Hasty Hannah, Unscheduled Stops, Philip's Number, The Fastest Red Engine on Sodor, The Big Freeze, Emily in the Middle and Confused Coaches
- Series 22 Forever and Ever, Confusion Without Delay, What Rebecca Does, An Engine of Many Colours (, fantasy) School of Duck, Samson and the Fireworks, Thomas' Animal Ark, Rosie is Red, Counting on Nia and Hunt the Truck
- Series 23 Free the Roads, Gordon Gets the Giggles, Steam Team to the Rescue and Panicky Percy
- Series 24 A New Arrival, World of Tomorrow, Emily to the Rescue, Nia and the Unfriendly Elephant, Sonny's Second Chance, Thomas and the Inventor's Workshop (, fantasy) Gordon and Rebecca, Coming Through!, Kenji on the Rails Again, Cleo the Road Engine, Nia's Bright Idea and Thomas' Animal Friends
Other - Thomas & Friends in 4-D: Bubbling Boilers
On Wilbert Awdry's Tidmouth - Knapford layout, the Wild Nor' Wester consisted of four corridor coaches: three in GWR chocolate and cream livery and one in LMS maroon livery.
These coaches were also shared with The Sudrian, with one side of the consist being painted in the livery of the Wild Nor' Wester and the other in the livery of the Sudrian.
The Wild Nor' Wester is likley loosely named after the North Western Railway
In the Railway Series version of Bowled Out, the Wild Nor' Wester is stated to consist of fifteen coaches, though it is likely this number is not always consistent.
In The Missing Coach, it is stated the Wild Nor' Western returns daily to Tidmouth at 3:30 in the afternoon.
Although it is a Main Line service, the Wild Nor' Wester has frequently been seen stopping at Brendam Docks from the fifth series onwards. According to Landmarks of Sodor, it stops here once a day to pick up passengers from liners such as the S.S. Roxstar.
* | RWS only ** only | T&F --- Dropped