|This article is about the episode. You may be looking for Chinese DVD or the magazine story.|
- “Easy does it, Kevin, my friend. Left a little, no, right a little. Perfect! Very good, my friend!”
- ―Victor guiding Kevin to fit Toby's new whistle
Toby's New Whistle is the eleventh episode of the thirteenth series.
Everyone on Sodor is in high spirits, except for Toby as his bell needs repairs. There are no spare bells at the Steamworks, so Toby must be fitted with a very loud and large whistle. James sees Toby's new whistle and comments that he once had a three-chime steam whistle like that and mentions that it is one of the loudest whistles he had ever heard. But Toby is afraid to blow it, as he does not like very loud noises. The Fat Controller tells Toby that he must collect Lady Hatt from Knapford. Toby decides to go slow and steady, to avoid using his whistle. Gordon, however, is very annoyed at this, as Toby is delaying his express.
Toby is soon close to Knapford, when suddenly, he sees a herd of cattle blocking the line. Toby tries telling the farm workers, but they cannot hear him. Then he tries to shove them off the rails with his cowcatcher, but nothing works. Toby soon admits to Henrietta that they just might be trapped. Suddenly, Toby hears an engine's whistle. Toby knows that if he does not do something, the engine will have a serious accident. So, Toby, although nervous, blasts his whistle as loud as he can. The engine, Thomas, stops just in time. Thomas is very grateful and the two blew their whistles to move the cows out of the way. Suddenly, Toby remembers that Lady Hatt is waiting for him so the engines puff to Knapford. The Fat Controller arrives at a crossing and is very cross with Toby saying that Lady Hatt waiting for a long time and that Gordon is taking her home. Suddenly, Toby spots a fallen tree across the line ahead.
Then, who should come racing around the corner, but Gordon with the express! Toby whistles as loud and as long as he can. Gordon stops just in time, with his buffers just a few inches away from the tree. Gordon and Lady Hatt praise Toby. Soon, Toby's bell is mended and he is offered to keep the whistle also, but Toby declines, saying that his bell is all he needs to be useful.
- Sir Topham Hatt
- Lady Hatt
- Henrietta (does not speak)
- Kevin (does not speak)
- Edward (cameo)
- Charlie (cameo)
- Annie and Clarabel (cameo)
- Ben Small as Thomas and Toby
- Keith Wickham as Gordon, James, Percy and the Fat Controller
- Teresa Gallagher as Emily and Lady Hatt
- Matt Wilkinson as Victor
- Martin Sherman as Thomas and Percy
- Kerry Shale as Gordon, James and Sir Topham Hatt
- William Hope as Toby
- Jules de Jongh as Emily and Lady Hatt
- David Bedella as Victor
- This episode was shown in select US theatres in January 2010.
- James reveals that he used to have a 3-chime whistle.
- This is the last time Henrietta is referred to by name until the eighteenth series episode, Signals Crossed.
- Toby's temporary whistle looks a lot like a Buckeye 3-chime, though it has the sound of a Southern Railway Princeton Steptop 3-chime. As a result, it sounds extremely similar to Southern Railway No. 4501's whistle.
- In the opening, the brake coach is in between the two other coaches of the express.
- In the shot from inside Toby's cab, he has no driver or fireman.
- When Gordon shouts, "Out of my way, Toby, you old steam tram!" the brake coach is in the middle of the express, but when Toby changes tracks, the brake coach is at the back.
- When Thomas and Toby first blow their whistles to move the cows from the track, no steam can be seen coming out of Thomas' whistle.
In Other Languages
|Catalan||El xiulet d'en Toby|
|Czech||Tobyho nová píšťala|
|Danish||Tobys nye fløjte|
|Dutch||De Nieuwe Stoomfluit|
|Finnish||Topin Uusi Pilli|
|French||Le nouveau sifflet de Toby|
|German||Tobys neue Pfeife|
|Greek||Η νέα σφυρίχτρα του Τόμπι|
|Hungarian||Toby és a gőzsíp|
|Indonesian||Peluit baru Toby|
|Italian||Il Nuovo Fischio di Toby|
|Korean||토비의 새 기적|
|Norwegian||Tobys nye fløyte|
|Polish||Nowy Gwizdek Tobika|
|Portuguese||O Novo Apito de Toby|
|Romanian||Noul Fluier al lui Toby|
|Slovak||Tobyho nová píšťala|
|Spanish||El Nuevo Silbato de Toby|
|Swedish||Tobys nya ångvisslan|
|Turkish||Toby'nin Yeni Düdüğü|
|Welsh||Chwiban Newydd Tobi|
Home Media Releases