|This article is about 'the episode'. You may be looking for 'the Slovenian DVD'.|
- “The dam's breaking up! We must warn everyone!”
- ―Toby's driver
During an extended stormy time, Toby is feeling miserable due to both the rain and the fact that his branch line that runs through a village is in danger of flooding from the rising river. The only thing preventing water from overflowing in the river is a dam. Percy arrives at the village beside Toby, who is about to investigate the dam for any concerns of damage. He informs Toby that crossing the dam in heavy rain could be dangerous, and asks Toby to be careful. Toby assures Percy he will try to be safe, and heads off to investigate the dam.
When he arrives at the dam, Harold is there inspecting it as well. Toby starts to cross cautiously, but his driver notices the dam is beginning to crumble, with water seeping through. The driver is now alarmed, and declares they must warn everyone to find higher ground. Toby races off the dam as fast as his wheels will let him.
Meanwhile, Percy is waiting on the other side of a wooden bridge at the end of the village, which is now in danger of collapsing due to the rising river. Toby's driver warns Percy and his crew about the dam and they need to find higher ground immediately. Percy explains their only chance now is to cross the bridge. Though believing it to be unsafe, Toby begins to cross the bridge, but as soon as he is halfway across, the dam collapses. With the water escaping, the bridge Toby is crossing tears away from the riverbanks and is swept down the river, with Toby still on it. Percy follows the river down his own line to find Toby further downstream. Harold, having seen the collapsed dam, flies off to help rescue Toby.
Toby is floating helplessly along the flooding river when he sees a sign saying "Beware the Waterfall." As Toby and his crew approach it, they see Harold flying in urgently. He calls out that his crew is going to drop a rope to Toby, and that his crew must tie it to his buffer. They rope is dropped and attached to Toby just as Percy arrives. Harold flies over to Percy and tells him to catch the rope and pull Toby to safety. The rope is dropped to Percy, and its end is tied to his buffer. Percy, puffing as hard as he could, finally pulls Toby back to safety.
When the flood subsides and the dam is repaired, a party is held in Toby's honour by the villagers and hosted by the Fat Controller, who is very impressed with Toby and Harold's bravery. Percy says he could not have been so brave, and Toby tells him he would not know until he tries.
- Sir Topham Hatt
- Bertie (cameo)
- Trevor (cameo)
- Caroline (cameo)
- Stephen Hatt (cameo)
- Bridget Hatt (cameo)
- Jem Cole (cameo)
- Farmer Trotter (cameo)
- Rheneas (stock footage cameo)
- Ulfstead River
- The Dam
- The Waterfall
- Toby's Flood Bridge
- Hawin Doorey (stock footage)
- Hawin Doorey Castle (stock footage)
- An alternate shot from Gallant Old Engine is used.
- Inspiration for this episode might have come from the Elan Valley Railway in Wales, which had a section of railway line running along the front of a dam that was under construction.
- The footage of Percy racing after Toby is sped up.
- In the Korean dub, the "Beware the Waterfall" sign is translated.
- Silicone rubber was used to create dangling rails when the dam collapsed.
- The small scale model of Toby's driver has a different beard compared to his large scale one.
- At the party, two people appear to be lying on the ground.
- Toby's driver is grinning when he says, "It's our only chance!"
- When Percy arrives to rescue Toby, the footage of him moving and stopping is sped up.
- Percy: [about the dam during the storm] Driver tells me it may be dangerous up there. Please be careful, Toby.
- Toby: I'll try.
- Percy: I could never have been so brave, Toby.
- Toby: Oh, I'm sure you would be, but you never know until you've tried.
In Other Languages
Home Media Releases