Tom once fell ill and when he returned he found his chief had decided a bike was more economical than a Post Van. One morning, Tom was asked to fill in some forms. In a hurry, he propped his bike against the platform fencing and asked Percy to keep his eye on it. As Percy prepared to leave later on, a boy climbed on the bike, rode out of control down the platform ramp and fell off, while the bike was crushed beneath Percy's wheels (in the television episode, Tom carelessly propped the bike against Percy's train and it fell onto the tracks when he started). Tom was disappointed, but his chief decided to give him a new post van, much to his delight.
He has retired from the Post Office now and lives a quiet life with his wife in a cottage near Ffarquhar Station.
Tom Tipper wears a postman's uniform, which consists of a dark blue jacket with red markings over a white shirt, a black tie and dark blue trousers, with a dark blue cap with a red brim.
- 2005 - Sodor: Reading Between the Lines (mentioned)
- Series 4 - Thomas and the Special Letter (cameo) and Mind that Bike
- Series 6 - Edward the Very Useful Engine (cameo)
- Series 7 - Bulgy Rides Again (cameo)
- Nobutoshi Canna (Japan)
- George Carlin gave Tom Tipper an Irish accent in the US narration.